Episode 23 - A risky promise

Author's PoV

Yoo breathed in deep...

Mr Gong: "You have all the right to ask me..."
He braced himself for her question like a sinner.

Y/n: "What makes us humans so selfish and heartless Mr Gong? Why do we fail to see what matters in life?"
She didn't direct her question at him at all. But, It's the new world of the rich unraveling in front of her eyes. It's a mere reaction to the insanity of the rich, that made her question.

But, Yoo knew he had to explain himself at some point, after all, he's part of that world too. His conscience, caged in guilt forced him to speak. He took a deep breath in to gain some strength before he spoke.
He felt that, the moment he pushed back all this time was suddenly here. After all, he'd just walked out of their world, hence he must know the answer.

Mr Gong: "It's the greed Miss y/n, the greed to have more and something better than what we and others already have. The illusional attachments to the materialistic world and delusional indulgences. Money is one of those things. We drop the most precious treasures behind and run after the things that gives us short term happiness. It's like an addiction to a drug. Intoxicated by the greed, we make mistakes. Yet, blindly, keep going, thinking we have escaped from the eyes of Karma. We think we've fooled the world."
He explained the humanly reasons, while looking down. He furthered, trying to explain himself.
Mr Gong: "Then one day, life hits us hard with just a single moment. Making us realise, it's us who's been fooled...."
He looked at her lovingly as she stood gazing at the glimmering street lights.
Mr Gong: "...The precious treasure we left behind stands right in front of us, grown so beautifully. It punishes us and makes us realise what we have missed. The guilt makes us so powerless, we feel so little...Miss y/n..."
He spoke regretfully looking down again in guilt.
He cleared his throat before he spoke again.
Mr Gong: "The guilt is so great, it cripples us from facing the consequences. So we hide and suffer. But also too weak to face the truth. I guess all of this in the end makes us wonder if we even deserve the chance to apologise Miss y/n..."
His voice grew weaker so he stopped.
Y/n: "You've answered for more than what I asked Mr Gong. I didn't mean to make you feel guilty."
She quickly looked down, so the tears wouldn't trail her cheeks and just fall out of her eyes. That way no one would notice them.

Y/n: "If you've already been forgiven, then there's no need for an apology Mr Gong..."
Mr Gong: "That's very kind of you..."
Y/n: "but I want you to promise me something..."
His sad eyes shone with little curiosity.
Mr Gong: "Whatever you wish..."
Y/n: "I want the truth to be hidden just like it is now. I don't want you to reveal it under any circumstances. I will say it when the right time comes."
He sighed looking at her.
Mr Gong: "Is this a punishment?"
He asked with worry.
Y/n: "No. If Mr Jeon ever gonna accept me, I want him to accept me for what I am, not because of who I am. I don't want any favors."
She smiled at him.

Mr Gong: "This promise sounds like a risky one..."
Y/n: "I know. But, maybe my journey in this dream is nearing its end. Soon, I may have to wake up and step back into my own little world. The memories are enough to keep me happy."
Mr Gong: "Mr Jeon is struggling to see what you are tho. That's my concern."
She laughed sadly and turned to face the crowd of people dressed in their exorbitantly rich designer outfits and diamonds.
Y/n: "They are all struggling to see what I am Mr Gong. They don't see me beyond my dress and my jewellery. Their world is so lavishly rich and superficial. Full of mirages. I'm too simple for their world. I don't fit in there. To be honest I find it scary in a way..."
She spoke as Her palace of hopes were reduced to a small thin bubble. It was so fragile, It could burst and disappear at any time. Yoo knew it very well.

Mr Gong: "But, there's one who sees you beyond all that. You must stand strong for him. Don't give up so soon like that."
Y/n: "He does. He's the only one who keeps me sane and happy."
Her eyes travelled through the crowd and focused on just Jungkook while everything around him blurred in her sight.
Y/n: "But if my happiness is gonna kill the love between a father and son, then I wouldn't want it. I know the pain of losing such love."
Yoo swallowed remorsefully.
She watched Jungkook, stood next to IU, chatting and laughing. They looked perfect together, perfect height, and even their outfits matched in some ways. Mr Lee and Mr Jeon were happily chattering away while feasting on the canapés.