Chapter 1: Old War

"Could you keep it down!?!" I yelled over my brothers blaring music blasting from his room.

In my only response I got the music turned up even louder. I groaned, slamming my face into my pillow.

I scramble to his room, slamming open the door. My brother is laying down with his eyes closed. I creep past him and shut the music off.

"Hey!" He yells, eyes flying open. I shrug.

"Turn it back on." Austin demands.

I glare at him. "Only if you keep it down."

"Why should I listen to you?" He asks.

"Well I'd do what I say by keeping it down or I'll tell mom about what you did." I declare.

He pales. "Fine."

I leave the room feeling triumph. I go back to my room so I can read in peace.

***

"How do I look?" My mom asks later that day.

She is wearing a nice blue dress with black flats and her hair is straightened.

"Where are you going?" I ask before answering.

My mom blushes. "I'm going on a date."

"Oh," I say. "Well I'd lose the necklace that you are wearing."

She removes the necklace, sitting it on the counter. "Anything else?"

"Hold on," I say then run up my room. I come back down with two bobby pins that have little diamonds on them.

"Put these in your hair." I say. She does what I told her.

"What time is this mystery man coming?" Austin asks, walking in the hall to stop at the bathroom where we both are.

My mom brushes her hair. "Seven."

"Well," Austin says. "It's almost seven."

My mom widens her eyes. "Do you guys think I look okay? Does it look like I'm trying too hard?"

"No I think you look fine." I assure.

"You aren't lying are you?" She asks.

"Mom," Austin says. "Ivory never lies. She tells everyone how it is. She isn't lying." Then he adds. "Maybe that's why she doesn't have any friends." He chuckles.

I punch his shoulder.

"You don't have any friends?" My mom asks, turning to me with worry filled in her eyes. Austin rubs his arm, frowning.

"Autsin is lying. I have friends." I lie.

"Sure." Austin mumbles so only I can hear.

"Okay. I think I'm done getting ready." She walks past us and into the kitchen.

"Is he coming inside?" I ask her, I wanted to meet this guy.

She shakes her head. "No. But I'll have you guys meet him if things go well."

After a while my mom leaves to go to her date. I punch Austin as soon as she closes the door.

"What was that for?!?" He yells, rubbing the same spot I had punched him earlier.

"For telling mom I don't have many friends. I don't want her to worry about me." I say, punching him again.

"So? I was just saying that you don't have-"

"I have friends." I cut him off.

"Like who?" He challenges.

My shoulders drop in defeat. Then they perk up. "Mom! Mom is my friend!"

Austin rolls his eyes. " Because she has to."

I glare at him. "Okay who are your friends?"

Austin smiles. "Jake, Luke, Taylor, and many more."

I cross my arms. "Yeah but are they real friends?"

"Yeah."

"So you could tell them anything?" I ask.

"Yeah."

"Without them telling others?" I throw back.

"I guess." He shrugs. "I'm done talking to you. I'm going to call my real friends and see if they can come over."

"Whatever." I say, plopping down on the couch.

Soon enough there is a knock at the door. I get up and go to answer it. But Austin pushes past me to answer it.

"Hey Austin!" The person at the door greets.

"Hey Luke." They both ignore my presence and go upstairs.

I roll my eyes and spend a lonely night on my best friend, besides my mom- Netflix.

***

"So how was the date?" I ask when I wake up Saturday morning, finding my mom in the kitchen.

My mom drinks her coffee and smiles. "It was really good."

"Was he nice?" I press.

She smiles wider. "Yes."

"Did he kiss you?" I ask, looking at her.

She chokes on her coffee. "I am not discussing that with my daughter."

"You remember that when I go on a date." I fire back, arching an eyebrow.

My mom rolls her eyes. "I got to go to work."

I laugh and she kisses my cheek, leaving the house.

I walk past my brothers room to see him and his friend Luke dead to the world in sleep.

I grin mischievously and tip toe in there. They don't even stir when I set his alarm clock. I make sure the volume is all the way up.

I start the alarm clock and tip toe out and go to my room.

I get under the covers and pretend to be asleep. A few minutes later his alarm bursts through the air.

I hear a yell and a groan. I stifle a laugh, squeezing my eyes tighter.

I hear a thump and I know that my brother has fallen to the ground. "Get off me, man!!" Luke yells.

Austin has fallen on top of Luke, I giggle. I hear stumbling and my doors slams open.

"Ivory." Austin says.

I pretend to stir. I open my eyes, squinting. "Hmm?" I mumble.

"I know you did it." He states.

Of course I did, buddy.

I furrow my eyebrows, looking up at him with squinted eyes. "Did what?"

"Turn my alarm clock on." He says, narrowing his eyes at me.

"I didn't do that." I say.

"Whatever. I'll get you back." He says then leaves the room.

I just started the old war that we always do.

"Good luck with that." I say to no one in particular.