Chapter 3

"So are we called lovers or sinners,
for the sins we do in the name of love?"

                          ___________

                          E M A A N

Standing in the middle of the room with continous tears running down her cheeks, she was staring at the red bridal dress adorned with different beads and diamonds in complex patterns, laid in front of her.

It wasn't hers, it was her sister's and was meant for her but now she had to wear it at any cost.

Soon the beauticians arrived, dolled her up and praised her beauty throughout the session.

As they left she opened her eyes glanced her reflection in the mirror. To say she was looking beautiful was an understatement, she was looking heavenly breathtaking but she felt nothing but a puppet playing the part in the show.

She realized that at this time everyone must have read Miral's letter and Miral must have sneaked out of the house already for a peaceful life ahead.

And here she was stuck afraid to face anyone. What would everyone think of her? Selfish? The adjective  that could never ever describe her selfless soul.

A knock on the door made her anxious, her mother entered the room and was disturbed at the sight in front of her, Emaan as a bride instead of her own daughter.

"You must be very happy right? You ruined my daughter's happiness for your own sake. How could you be so selfish? We gave you a family, a home and what not? And this is how you repay us?" Her mother yelled.

Tears were fighting to be freed from the cage of eyes but she didn't let them win, she mentally prepared her self for all of this but it still hurt alot.

She wanted to yell that yes this is the repayment that she has to pay for their  favours.

But she couldn't utter a word only a whisper left her mouth "Mama..."

She was cut off by her mother "STOP! Don't call me that I am not your mother and you were never my daughter." She was speechless.

After composing herself, MEHREEN ( Miral's mother) said "Now come downstairs. Everything is settled and Arham agreed. It's the time for you to  celebrate our misery." And left behind a totally broken Emaan.

Even in her wildest dream she never wanted her to be a source of their misery.

*****

The couple was now seated on the stage and was the centre of attention of everyone. Arham had a stern face with no hint of amusement.

She could easily figure out that Arham is not happy with this swap of brides.

Even in this situation she couldn't be not affected by his presence and dashing looks. He was looking like a prince charming who just walked straight out of a magazine cover. Sharp jawline, neatly trimmed stubble, accurately gelled hairs; everything about him was just so perfect and on point.