Chapter 25

"There is so much simplicity
in vulnerability-
the way a tree leans in
after the storm,
how are hearts form
pieces of sky,
the way you love
me."

______________

E M A A N x A R H A M

Flickering stars bespangled the night sky like the pearls on a tiara. Pale crescent moon graced the vast pitch black canvas of nature. In the serenade of darkness, the stars sang gibberish lullaby to the moon. The eerie comfort of the velvet sky made the heart calm and soul serene.

Contrary to the still sky, the city underneath was chaos. The road illuminated with dust golden street lamps, the trees along the pavement swayed as the cool breeze clashed with them. Traffic lights fluttering shades like a chameleon. People rushing here and there as if in a race. A state of pure disarray.

Gazing into oblivion, from the picture window at the forty-fourth floor, the city descended under his feet.

Hands tucked in the pockets of his pants as he keenly observed the outside in some deep thought. The buzzing of the intercom disrupted him,

"Sir, your father is on the line."

"Transfer it to me." He said returning back to the table and started the laptop.

"Assalam-o-Alikum Dad! How are you doing?"

"Waalikum Salam! Looks like my son learned some manners." Shehrayar raises his brow impressed.

"Ofcouse why won't I? I have been taking manner classes these days." He said sarcastically as his dad never leaves a chance to taunt him.

"Really? Why didn't I know? If I knew you were interested I would have initiated it quiet long before." His father suppressed his smirk.

"Dad! Are you serious?" He whined.

"Leave it. By the way where is she?" Shehrayar asked.

"Dad, who are you talking about?" Acting totally ignorant, he asked.

"Arham, we both know how innocent you are. So drop this act of yours."

"She is not here. I am staying in the office." He rolled his eyes as his father was way more interested in Emaan then his own one and only son.

"Shouldn't you be home at this hour?" Shehrayar squinted his eyes at Arham accusingly.

"I was busy-"

"Is there a time when you are not busy? This attitude of yours won't work anymore, you are a married man. Be responsible." Disappointment laced in Shehrayar voice as Arham continued to whistle nonchalantly despite his taunts.