Surprising Announcement

Desire

I thought I was gonna have to get August some damn oxygen when he saw his car. Hell I cried a river when I saw that he had gotten me my very own Chemistry lab. My father was on a mission to making things bigger and better. Now it was time for August and I to make our big announcement. Things were changing, but only for the good.

We all had made it back inside and everybody was sippin' on some type of beverage. His nieces were busy watching tv down the hall, while the grown folks talked and drank, unfortunately Ned I couldn't drink. Ned had actually went to lay down in one of the guest bedrooms, because she wasn't feeling well. Twan and August was turning up like it wasn't nothing. August on that henny and I already know as soon as the last person leaves he gonna come for my ass. It was as if he could read my mind because in the middle of him talking to Twan, he eyes found mines.

The look he gave me was enough for me to almost say let's go upstairs right quick. Almost. His eyes were hooded and he was biting down on that damn bottom lip. Lord help me! I thought to myself.

"Desire you and my son a trip and then some." Mama Shelia said behind me. I turned and smiled.

"Dang are we that obvious?" I sipped from my hot chocolate. She smiled and placed her hand on my shoulder. "Real love usually is and I know the love y'all have for one another is really real. I'm glad that helped Sylvia set this up." She leaned in and hugged me.

"I tell you, y'all know how to do some scheming, that's for sure, but I'm really glad things turned out the way that they have."

"Me too babygirl." She kissed my cheek and went to talk to my grandmother.

"How's my babygirl?" My daddy asked as he looked around at everybody and then back to me. "Daddy I'm so happy and if I hadn't got a gift for Christmas, I already had mines and that's August Anthony Alsina." I looked over at August as him and Twan continued to talk.

"Desire that's a good man right there. People judge him for what they see on the outside, but he is a good man with a pure heart. He loves hard and he loves the hell out of you. It's funny because I knew the day I first met him that you meant more to him than what he tried to let on." He took a sip of his drink.

"Oh daddy I'm so blessed and I can't wait to start my new life with him and our child. Everyday that I wakeup, I thank God for the many blessings and the joy that he has restored in me. I really went through some things and through it all August never left my side, well...that don't even matter now because we got it together now."

"Yes babygirl you do and I'm ready to walk you down that aisle." He kissed my cheek and I smiled up at him. Just then my mother walked up. "I'ma give you and your mother a moment. I love you babygirl."

"I love you too daddy." I turned to mother and there was few seconds of silence.

"Desire I am so proud of the woman you have become. I mean look at you. You are about to become a wife and mother." She paused to gather her thoughts. I knew that she still had a lot of guilt riding her, but she was gonna have to learn to forgive herself, so that she could heal fully. I had already forgave her.

"Sweetheart I know I messed up and should have done a lot of things differently, but God knows from the bottom of my heart I am truly sorry. I never meant to hurt you are this family. I was just caught up in a bad place. That doesn't excuse what I did, but believe it or not I was tryna protect you and at the time they knew that. Anyway I'm just grateful that you let me back in and you are giving me the chance to get things back on track. I love you and August is a great man, a man that you deserve." She hugged me and I felt the tears fall.