Chapter 1

Jessica's POV

I woke up to the sound of bickering. Must be Edmund and my brother, Eustace, at it once again. I looked at the time and woke up my other cousin, Lucy. We were sharing a room while Ed was sharing with my brother.

My family and I are hosting the two youngest Pevensie children, Edmund and Lucy, because their parents are in America. Not only that but the war made their home unsafe. Germany and its allies were trying to take over the world basically. The two older Pevensies, my cousins Peter and Susan, were elsewhere. Peter was studying with a professor in the country and Susan was with her parents, my Aunt and Uncle, in America.

Lucy and I walked downstairs only to find a note from my Mom saying that she went out with some friends for breakfast. The note included a grocery list as well as some money to use for lunch. I put the money and the list in my pocket, saving them for later. I go to grab the basket while Lucy goes to grab her brother so we can all go to the market together.

A few things you should know about me is that I'm not much of a "proper girl." I love to fence and run which leads me to prefer pants over dresses or skirts. I don't mind wearing them but I still don't prefer them, they've always been scratchy... I seek adventure and I love mystery. Nancy Drew was an idol for me. I don't mind cooking and baking since I love food and I've got the curvy hips to prove it. And the most important thing about me is that I refuse to be married off. That might not seem important but where I come from and in this day of age, that's all that matters. I want to marry for love, not money. But unfortunately, it's my parent's goal to marry me off to a rich man.

Basket in hand, I make my way to the door. "Don't forget that we'll have John Andrews, who is the wealthy doctor, over for dinner tonight again!" Dad reminds me, emphasizing the wealthy part. I roll my eyes knowing it's another attempt to marry me off. He's had dinner with us a few times before and every time it's been an absolute nightmare for me. All he ever wants to talk about is himself, all the money he has, and how he's such a good doctor.

Ugh, I hate it when my parents do this...

I quickly pass him and wait by the door for my cousins. Eventually, they came downstairs and we get on our bikes and ride away to the market.

-----

Lucy and I had just finished buying food for lunch when we noticed Edmund is no longer with us. I look around and see the draft booth and Lucy and I both know he's in line. We both walk into the building and Lucy speaks up when she sees him.

"Edmund...you're supposed to be helping us with the groceries." She scolds him. I hear people laugh at him in line.

"Better luck next time, eh, squirt?" The man behind him says, messing with his hat. I walk up to Ed and drag him away, getting whistled and cat-called at by the other boys in line.

Ugh gross!

We all walk out of the building and Ed starts to complain while I start handing Lucy some of the vegetables.

"'Squirt?!' He barely had two years on me!" Edmund takes the box from Lucy's hand. I tune him out, not wanting to hear his complaints as I already have to deal with my brother's. I focus on getting the groceries into the bike basket without ripping the bag. I am brought back into the conversation when Lucy mentions John Andrews. I scoff at his name and both Ed and Lucy laugh at me.

"I don't think Aunt and Uncle will ever understand that you will never like John." Ed says.

"He's 10 years older than me and a complete narcissist! Mom and Dad don't care though. All they know is that he's rich and that's all they care about. They don't care about me." I complain with an irritated tone.