Chapter 16

Edmund's POV

I shine my torch in the serpent's eyes, blinding it so it can't attack the ship. He tries to move out of the ray but I continue to move the light with him.

"Try and kill me! Come on! Come on, I'm here!" I yell at the creature, distracting it from the crew, ship, and oncoming rocks.

The serpent charges and tries to eat me but the wood from the dragon's head stops him. I hear Lucy and Caspian scream for me, fearing that I was eaten.

I climb out of the dragon and stand at the top of the stairs. "I'm still here!" I taunt the serpent.

I am about to taunt it again when suddenly an arrow passes me and enters the serpent's eye. I look at the arrow and notice something. It's one of Susan's arrows. I look back and see Lucy holding Susan's bow and wearing her quiver. I look back to the serpent to see it charging at me once again. I jump back and slip, falling and hitting the ground, knocking me unconscious.

-----

Eustace's POV

I open my eyes and see something approaching me.

A lion.

I get up as best as I could and scratch my chest. Not knowing how to feel in the presence of the lion. Feeling that I am not worthy to look at him.

I know that this is the "Aslan" that the Narnians and my cousins have talked about.

He says nothing, he just takes his claws and runs them through the sand, causing the scratch marks I had made on myself to glow and hurt. He does this a few more times and my whole body begins to hurt and glow.

I look the lion in the eyes and he steps forward and roars.

I don't know what to feel. I don't feel pain but I feel pain. I feel my wings disappear and my fingers come back. But then the next thing I knew, everything is dark.

-----

Jessica's POV

I am laying here, crying now. The gold is at my neck and I know that I am not going to make it. Even if they kill the monster they're fighting, Eustace still has to put down the sword. I close my eyes and let all of my tears fall. But suddenly in the distance... I hear something. It's not from the Island but it's from the direction Eustace flew.

I hear a lion's roar. It shakes the vines and the trees around me. The gold is still slowly spreading up but I am no longer in fear. The sound made me feel at peace. I don't know why. But I knew that it was Aslan, I could feel it.

All I could think of then was how the evil was going to lose. Aslan was here and he had already helped me be at peace. And I believe he's helped Eustace too.

Everything was going to be okay. I was okay with "dying." Evil was going to lose and that is all that mattered. I heard another roar and knew that everything was going to be okay.

-----

Caspian's POV

Our plan on trying to ram it into the rocks has failed. I run to Ed and help him up, checking to make sure he's okay. After seeing he's alright, we both look up to the screeching serpent. It continues to thrash around but then the creature begins to glow green.

The creature unravels only to reveal thousands of millipede-like legs. I see the creature look straight at Ed.

"Move!" I yell to him. But when he doesn't I run over to him and tackle him out of the way. The serpent gets stuck in the railing and I quickly grab a nearby sword and bring it down onto one of the creature's leg-things. The creature throws itself back and squeals louder at the pain. Both Ed and I look to the leg I cut off only to see it turn back into the green mist and disappear.