Chapter 11

Theo's pov

"Going somewhere?"

"We all are. Pack your stuff, do it quietly."

I am sat in a plush armchair whilst listening into Brenda and Jorge's conversation. My mind wondering to Jess- I suppress a grimace. I know exactly where she is because it's exactly what Jorge did to me before he realised I was immune and meant no harm.

The name Jess almost brings tears to my eyes. It's not her real name. Only I will remember that. Not even she remembers Isabella. I suppose that's a good thing though. Even if it pains me to remember her leaving. And so soon after our older brother left.

"So what! You're just going to leave! Everything you've worked for! Everything you've built!"

"There's no future here! What happens when another gang takes control and I can't keep order! When I can't protect you and Theo!"

I frown at Jorge's words. Obviously I don't need protection, but he's like a father to me and I'm like a son to him. After all, he is the only reason that I'm even alive at this point.

"I don't need protecting!"

Of course Brenda would say that. She's not wrong though.

"What happens if you get the flare?" Jorge whimpers, "what do I do then? Chain you up? Watch you turn? Put a bullet through your brain? Is that what you expect of me."

Never have words pierced my heart so sharply.

"I would do the same for you." Brenda whispers so quietly- I am almost uncertain if I really heard it or not. But before I can dwell on it any further, an amplified voice rings through my ears.

"I am from the World Catastrophe Killzone Department. It has come to my attention that under no fault of your own, you are in possession of WCKD property. Hand them over to us and no one gets hurt. Don't, and every last one of you will die. It's only a matter of time before the Flare wipes us all out. The chance of a cure is in your hands."

Barkley.

"Barkley." Jorge growls- confirming my suspicions

Jess' pov

"Is that so? I got em Janson, I'm coming down. Don't shoot."

We were able to escape by using Teresa to swing to the lever. From there, she pulled us in using a metal pole. Amazing what junk lies around this place.

Somehow, during our escape, Janson had managed to find us and it seems this big guy didn't want us to leave either. Seeing no way out of this one, I inch back into Aris and Newt.

A shot echoes across the room. I instinctively cover my stomach, before checking Newt, Aris, Thomas, Minho and Frypan. None of them looked harmed. The guy with the gun freezes with a shocked look on his face and promptly falls down face first, revealing Brenda and Theo.

Relief washes over me.

We really need to stop getting into these situations.