Chapter 38

Bangs ring out into the smoky sky- clouding the city with a layer of dust. My feet slap against the cracked roads and my breathing is a pounding rhythm in my throat.

A larger crash comes from besides the six of us. Reflexively, I crouch down behind a rock with Lily besides me. Gally, Theo, Thomas and Minho (who I have yet to speak to) face us on the opposite side.

Lily perks her head up to review the scene in front of the boulder. Her eyes grow wide and she jerks her head down at another bomb. "Go. I'll cover you guys." She whispers.

Theo is the first to protest- adamantly shaking his head. But she has already pushed us all forward.

Hesitantly, I move forward with Minho on my right and Thomas on my left. I can't help but think that even if I don't make it out of here alive, at least Newt will. But, of course, he won't stay alive if we don't get him the serum.

That thought alone quickens my pace.

"NO!" A panicked shout comes from behind me. I spin around and suddenly it's like time slows down.

Lily is shoved aside and a body takes the impact of a gunfire. It pierces his heart and all I can think at that moment is Theo Theo Theo- no he's not-

But as he falls, the life drains from his eyes and I know, I just know. That he's dead.

A shrill scream rips time back into its continuous pace. Lily surges forward and catches his body as he falls. Too late.

"No! No! Not him," she sobs, the words catching in her throat, "why not me? WHY NOT ME?"

A heart wrenching sob of mine joins Lily, but I don't release the tears that brim at the edge of my eyes

A heart wrenching sob of mine joins Lily, but I don't release the tears that brim at the edge of my eyes. "Come on," I whisper to her.

She stumbles up and I wrap an arm around her shoulder. Already, Minho and Thomas are up ahead talking into a radio and looking up at the sky for something.

Gally is simply staring at his brother with something like grief and regret smeared onto his usually stoic expression.

A gust of wind car too strong to be considered natural sweeps from up ahead.

The features of a berg comes closer to the ground- propellers going and the face that I just only make out to be Jorge's at the wheel. He opens the hatch and ushers the remaining in.

As I leave him to find out about Theo, I push past the throes of WCD escaped kids and land my gaze on a certain person being injected with a blue serum.

His eyes clear fully and his veins shrink rapidly. I can hardly hope to imagine what it could be. A cure? Surely not.

But... there he is and his now clear and coherent eyes meet mine.

A/N: I am so sorry for killing Theo!! :(