Chapter 26

Jess' PoV
*4 months later*

"Oi, Jess hurry up!"

I give an exaggerated sigh in response and roll my eyes. Half an hour I've been trying to work a telescope and still, still, the bloody thing won't focus.

And of course, my older brother is here just for my benefit. And by that, I mean insult Jess until she blows up. So far, I'm doing well, but I'm telling you- it won't last.

"DONE!" I yell in delight.

A  scattered whoop greet me. Gally just pushes me aside and leans into it. I frown at his back.

My daydreaming casts itself to seeing him for the first time after so long in the maze...

Theo and I looked like the walking dead. Our shirts were ripped and muddy from high-tailing it through the Crank tunnel. Both of us were exhausted and hungry- but the sight of the city had certainly done much to our spirits.

We had barely stopped for a few minutes before the sound of voices came climbing up the city walls. Theo and I scrambled to push ourselves against the side of a warehouse.

But we were too late.

A burly looking guy leaped out of the shadows and grabbed Theo by the scruff of his neck. Another one grabbed my forearms- effectively placing them behind me.

"What should we do with them boss?"

A short silence lasted before a voice rang out. "Take 'em to Lawrence."

Stealing quick glances at Theo, I confirmed my suspicions. That voice had sounded very familiar. So familiar that-

"Oh bloody hell no!"

Even now, I can't seem to daydream without it interrupting my thoughts.

"What?" My tone came out as bored and monotone.

"Come look at this!" Gally answers.

I raise my eyebrows at his amazed tone, before stepping up to the telescope. Peering into it, I see nothing unusual at first. But then a figure walks into the lab room and I silently gasp.

"Teresa."

"Yep. You know anything about this."

"She's the one that sold us out," I tell Gally, "she's the reason Minho, Aris and Sonya are all suffering behind those walls.

Gally stiffly nods at me, a bit of sympathy showing. "Yeah sorry. Never liked her though."

I laugh shortly, "Can't say the same. We bonded after escaping WCKD, but I guess that got thrown back in my face."

Gally grimaces sympathetically, but I just shrug my shoulders in a what-can-you-do motion.

A silence pursues. Then-

"We should probably get back to Theo."