Chapter 16

Newt's POV

Wind rushes past my ears and the landscape shifts from desert ruins to mountainous regions. I feel like my grin can't get any wider.

Arguing against Jess to get shotgun was totally worth it. I lean back in my seat to look at her. She looks up to meet my gaze and gives me a playful glare. I grin back.

There's something weird about that girl. She makes me feel strange on the inside. Happier almost.

I've really come a long ways from the glade.

Minutes tick by into an hour and we reach a blockage on the road.

"Alright walking from here." Jorge announces.

A collective groan comes from behind me.

We scramble out of the car christened Bertha and follow Jorge towards the car crash site. I fall into step with Jess and we walk at a leisurely pace in comfortable silence.

I run my hand over the hood of a car. Bullet holes are quite clearly engraved into it. Just as I'm about to voice my finds, a shot rings through the air. Fortunately, I've had far too much practice in ducking shots than I'd like to admit and drag Jess down besides me.

We sit together- her arm wrapped around my arm and my hand grazing her waist.

"Everyone all right?" Thomas yells.

"We're fine." Teresa counters.

"Anyone know where those bloody shots come from?" I decide to intervene.

No reply. Well... thanks.

"Everyone get set to run back to the car and hold your ears."

Jess' grip tightens at Theo's words. I glance down at her and give her what I hope is a reassuring nod.

We wait. Nothing.

Still nothing.

"Drop it." A muffled voice hisses accompanied by the click of a gun.

Slowly, I straighten from my crouched position to see two girls hidden by masks. They each point guns at us.

"Get up." "Get up, don't be stupid, move."

Hesitantly, I feel an arm brush against mine signalling that Jess is stood up too. "Jess?" The voice of the blond masked girl inquires. The sound of that voice seems very familiar to me but I have no idea why. I brush it off, looking at Jess. How do they know her?

The blond pulls down her mask and Jess gasps.

"Sonya!"

She quickly moves forward to embrace the girl. Aris peeks out from behind Frypan and his eyes widen. "Harriet! Sonya!" He exclaims.

The four of them all embrace like long lost siblings, while the gladers stand by in shock.

"Um, you know these people?" Minho questions slowly.

"We were in the maze together." Aris confirms.

Oh.

A/N: Over 500 reads?!???? OH MY GOSH THANK YOU SO MUCHHH😘😘 you have no idea how much this means to me!! Xxxxxxx