Chapter 33

Newt sits perched on the edge of the roof with his feet dangling over a dangerously long drop. My teeth chatter slightly; whether it's from the cold or nerves, I do not know.

I approach his stiff figure tentatively. Maybe I am overstepping boundaries by wanting to talk to him just now but the anxiety is eating me up inside.

"Hey." I begin- unsure.

Newt turns, glancing momentarily at me and then going back to staring at nothing. I take it as my cue to sit down next to him.

"I don't want pity," he begins, "or a bloody cure."

I purse my lips.

He won't stop me.

"You don't mean that." I whisper- but either he doesn't hear me or chooses not to reply.

A silence stretches the time between us and slowly a feeling that can only be described as awkward comes over me. "I don't want to die without feeling okay with it you know?" Newts voice shatters the thread of silence hanging and all feelings of awkwardness disappears.

"Yeah." I reply- mostly because I don't want to tell him the truth. That I don't let myself think of death. It can only bring bad memories and pain.

He turns so his front is totally facing mine. I just stare at his face, unsure of my own actions. Suddenly, I am all too aware of our close proximity. His brown, honey flecked eyes are merely centimetres away from my own and all I can hear is the soft exhales of Newt's breath.

His eyes flicker down to my lips and I follow my own down to his. We are so close- his lips hovering above mine. I don't know how this happened or even if I want it to, but he leans in an inch closer and-

"We gotta go! Hurry up Newt!"

Newt jerks back at the same time as me. I scramble to my feet and avoid looking at him in fear of my beet red face giving away what I had done. What I had almost done.

Newt walks off towards the small figure of Thomas in the distance.

He doesn't look back. 

Somehow, time passes quickly and all too soon I am reunited with the face of a girl I would much rather forget.

In fact, I almost wish she had been left at WCKD. But that thought is quickly dismissed. I am not sure I could ever wish that end on a person.

But of course, there she may prove me wrong:

Teresa.

A/N: AHHAHA THEY ALMOST KISSED 😅😅 well— that was fun to write.