Chapter 24

Days spent trekking through the hard winds of the scorch leaves me with a sunburnt back and aching legs. I can barely feel the strength to drag my feet one in front of the other.

My mind is in a constant whirlpool of ideas. Where to go; what to do. I cast my thoughts back to when we got attacked by the cranks...

Just when I could see black spots crowd the edges of my vision, the cranks pressure is released. I immediately suck in breaths of air I never thought I would get again. With my vision still blurry, I look up at my saviour.

A shadow of a boy stands at the end of the building road with a sniper in his hands. He lingers for a second before running off. But a second was all I needed.

To know exactly who it was.

Even now, his face lingers in my mind. An image of his face remains imprinted and fuels the only hope I have that my older brother is still alive.

I think of Theo. My twin. My other half. I think of how happy he would be if I rescued not only Minho, Aris and Sonya- but Gally too.

Hope is all I have.

And so the day drags on. No sightings of cranks. Just endless wasteland.

Roughly an hour passes, and my skin starts to blister. A roaring sound fills my ears and a small gasp escapes my mouth.

A large truck comes barrelling towards me in the distance. It is a rusty pick-up truck with paint that seems to be hanging on by a flake. I furrow my eyebrows. I should probably start running but something roots me to a stop.

The truck draws closer until it is right besides me. The window winds down and a face pokes out.

My face drains of colour and suddenly I recognise the truck as Bertha.

"Didn't think I was gonna let you go that easy, did ya?" Theo asks.

Numbly, I shake my head at him. "Is it just you?"

Theo nods grimly. "The others believe in Thomas' plan."

I press my lips together. Theo is better than no one, for sure. But I don't like the idea of him in danger because of me. I may not remember him very well, but he's still my twin; I still love him.

"Okay." I nod- determined, "Let's go then."

A/N: I LOVE THEO!! If you ever doubted him then smh. Shame on you.