Chapter 20

Thomas is shoved down into a seating position. I keep my eyes on the back of his head. Minho swallows from besides him and asks quietly, "why didn't you run?"

"I'm tired of running." Came the exhausted reply.

Breathing heavily, I redirect my gaze to the floor.

Newt shuffles slightly from besides me. "Teresa?" He asks, confused.

I perk my head up in surprise. And there she is. With tears in her eyes, she keeps her focus on Thomas.

"She's with them now." Thomas explains bitterly.

I do not bother to hide my surprise.

Wow. This is what it's like to feel betrayed.

The  disgusted looks from Newt, Frypan and Minho shows their similar thinking.

"Since when?" Minho asks.

"Oh Teresa's always had an evolved appreciation of the greater good. Once we gave her her memories back, it was only a matter of time." Janson answers.

I sneer at his satisfied expression.

As if he thought he was the good guy here.

"I made a deal with them. They promised they'd keep you safe!" Teresa pleads.

"It's true it was her only condition."

"What and I'm supposed to trust you now?"

"Alright load them up!" Janson orders.

"No!" Thomas yells and in one swift motion, he pulls out a grenade. I swallow thickly as I realise his intentions. Making a quick decision, I conclude that there's no way I'd ever go back to WCKD.

So I stand up. And walk so that I stand next to Thomas. A shoulder brushes mine. And another.

"Do it Thomas. We're ready."

And I don't even need to turn around to know it's Newt.

"No, please don't." Teresa cries.

"Thomas no. Think about what you are doing." Ava adds.

"We know what we're doing," I cut in, "I'm not going back there. Not to that place. I'd rather die."

Thomas gives me a slight nod for the encouragement and I send him a small grin of submission.

If I'm dying, I'd rather die on my own terms as my own person.

I spent too long in the maze as nothing more than a test subject. To them, my death would have meant nothing. But here, I am. Dying because I would prefer my own death than get pushed around by WCKD.

With these thoughts still lingering, I close my eyes for the final blow.

A pinkie finger brushes against mine, and before I can stop myself, I latch onto it with my own. The person doesn't reject the contact, but somehow I know that it's Newt.

This is it.

3...

2...

"On-

"HERMANOS!"

My eyes fly open to reveal a jeep soaring through the camp remains.

Of course. Jorge and Brenda.

Always with the damn dramatic entrances.

A/N: how are you all? Two more chapters of the original plot line :)