Chapter 17

Jess' PoV

"You're lucky we caught you at the right time. We're moving out at first light. This is all for us."

I listen to Sonya in boyish fascination as she rambles on about the Right Arm and the Safe Haven.

I feel someone lean closer to me and breath tickle my ear, "feels like we finally have a shot at freedom now don't we?" A familiar British accent whispers.

I grin at him. Because yes, it does finally feel like we are free. Not just from WCKD, but from their games. It feels like our lives are finally ours.

I tune back into the conversation as a burly bearded man walks up to our group.

"Who are these?"

"They're Munies. We caught them coming up the mountains."

"Did you check them?"

"I know these two: Aris and Jess. I trust them."

"Well I don't. Check them."

I inwardly smile at Vince's forthright attitude. It reminded me a bit about when I first came up into the Field. Since then, I gained more of a serious, quiet persona.

"Hey boss, this one's not looking too good." A muffled masked man says cautiously.

I turn to see who he is referring to to see Brenda collapse with a groan. I hold back a horrified gasp.

Jorge rushes to her side. "Brenda, Brenda what's wrong. Talk to me come on."

Having a fair idea about what is wrong with her, Vince seems to think alike. He pulls up a section of her trouser leg. "CRANK CRANK WE HAVE A CRANK!!"

"Hey, hey woah. This just happened! She's not dangerous yet!" Thomas intercedes. He stations himself as a barrier between Vince's raised gun and a convulsing Brenda.

"We let cranks in now, the Safe Haven doesn't last a week."

I then decide to speak up. "There's nothing we can do for her?"

Theo, Newt and Minho shoot me warning glances. And Vince redirects his gaze to me.

"Yes." He says after a dramatic pause, "I can put her out of her misery."

"NO!" Jorge yells.

I make a move to go forward, but someone pulls me back by my wrist. Of course: Newt. I internally roll my eyes.

"Vince! What are you doing?!" A voice rings out.

"There's nothing we can do for her Mary."

The woman -Mary- continues walking down the steep incline.

"No, but he can. Hello Thomas."

The corners of her mouth lift upwards at the sight of Thomas. She drops down besides Brenda and proceeds to take her pulse.

"You know me?"

"It makes sense they'd put you in the maze. I was worried they would kill you after what you did."

"What I did?"

"The first time we talked, you said you couldn't take it anymore, watching your friends die one after the other. The last time we spoke, you gave me the co-ordinates for every compound trial and lab."

"He was our source." Vince says with some reverence evident in his voice.

"Get these some clothes and Thomas come with me. I need some blood from you." Mary orders.

Thankful at the prospect of food and warmth, I follow Harriet with a new spark of optimism.

A/N: I know things are moving very slowly but there with be a lot more focus on Newt and Jess' relationship in the six months between tst and tdc. Almost there!