Chapter 36

"Where is he?"

Thomas is quick to turn on Teresa- his tone low and threatening. She gulps nervously and starts to type furiously into the computer that surrounds the hoard of terrified kids.

I'm nervous. All I want is to get the kids out of here, but I need Minho to be safe too. And not just for me. For Newt too.

"He's in the medical wing." Teresa mutters. "Thomas... that's the other side of the building."

Thomas shakes his head and makes to drag Teresa along. She digs her feet into the ground looking petrified.

Lily speaks up, "Me and Theo will get the kids to Brenda. You and Teresa get Minho. Jess... look after Newt. Gally will help Thomas."

Thomas nods quickly, but Newt stops him with a croaky "no."

"No?" Thomas says indignantly, "What do you mean no?"

"I mean no-" Newt stands a little straighter, "you wanna hear it in Spanish? Nōh."

I give a breathy laugh at his humour. Even if it is very poor timing.

Newt shoots an appreciative grin in my direction and turns back to Thomas. "I'm coming." He states- all traces of croakiness gone from his voice.

"Like hell you are." I counter and grab his elbow to my side. "You are going to come with me. Thomas'll get the serum and we'll get you better."

Newt makes to shake his head, but I simply cover his mouth with my hand. His eyes lock onto my own and I find myself talking with the most demanding voice I have ever used: "You... are... staying. Understand?"

By this time, no one is moving. Everyone is focused on mine and Newts interaction. A tense silence sweeps across the room, until Newt slowly nods with my hand still across his mouth.

I quickly take it away- embarrassed. But he catches it within his own and gently replaces it at my side. Still, there is silence.

"Thank you." Thomas whispers to me. And then he is gone.

Lily blows out a long breath and Theo tentatively wraps an arm around her shoulders.  Surprisingly, she lets him.

Gally takes one glance at them, rolls his eyes and grunts out an order for all the kids to follow him into the vents. Then, he will meet with Brenda. Thomas and Teresa will have Minho at that point. Newt will be cured and Jorge will fly us back to the Safe Haven.

At least.

That's the plan.

A/N: okay so a bit of angst... sorry it's so slow. promise that more will happen in the next chapter!!:)