Chapter 18

3rd PoV

A dim shadow of light casts itself across a barren landscape. Mountains surround a small alcove. Two tents are set up at the corner of the camp. People mill about in groups, each with an alluring smile plastered on their faces. One in particular stood out.

A girl.

She was dressed in black shorts and an oversized hoodie. But that's not what made her stand out.

Seeing the girl smile infected the mood of the people surrounding her.

Especially to one boy. Aris- the boy who had seen the girl go through so much. Losing friends had broken her smile. Yet here Harriet and Sonya has proven to him that all broken things can be fixed with just the right pieces. And soon he found himself smiling too.

She sat down with said boy and her two friends Sonya and Harriet. Soon enough, she was laughing and giggling along.

The group of boys and girl minus Thomas had taken residence at the top of a mountain peak. It gave them a view of the camp and the sunrise. Every one of the boys felt at peace for the first time that their memories stretched to. But the girl... she felt far from peace. A decision she had to make occupied her thoughts.

She glanced at the boys to the side of her before slipping away into the shadows. Making her way up the tallest mountain peak, she internally begged for forgiveness and let a few tears leak.

Jess' PoV

"Nope, no way."

"Yes way."

"Was he cute?"

"..."

A flurry of laughter escape my lips as I see Harriets face turn a dark shade of red.

Sonya nudges her arm playfully. Aris looks at Sonya with a light in his eyes. Ohhhhhh... my eyes sparkle mischievously.

"Sooooo.... Arissssss..." I laugh out.

He looks at me quizzically. I send a meaningful look at Harriet. She widens her eyes and lets out a giggle.

"Anyone catch your eye?"

Aris flushes red and stutters our, "No."

Harriet joins in the teasing, "So you haven't been ogling Sonya here since the second you got out of the box. Hmm?"

This time Sonya blushes. I laugh quietly.

"HEY. HEY EVERYBODY DOWN." I crane my neck to see Thomas shouting at everybody with panic in his eyes.

I follow his line of sight to two bright lights heading straight for us.

I gasp. No. It can't be. We escaped them.

But I know the war isn't won yet.

WCKD is coming.