Chapter 34

As much as I wanted to deny it, Gally was incredibly good at interrogation.

Teresa sat tied down in the middle of the room, her head concealed with a black bag. A semi-circle of the gladers, myself, Brenda, Jorge, Lily and  Theo stand around her. Thomas is at the back- nervously fidgeting with his hands. I gulp.

Maybe I should make amends with him. After all, we were both in the wrong.

I store the thought away for when I'm not facing the prospect of battle.

"What- Where am I?" A timid voice speaks up.

Gally swipes the bag off of Teresa's head in one motion. Her face visibly pales. "Here's how this is going to go," Gally begins, "We ask you some questions. And you're going to answer them. Let's start simple. Where's Minho?"

Teresa shifts her gaze to Thomas and gazes at him imploringly. "You don't really believe you can do this, do you? You need keycards to-"

"Don't look at him. Look at me. Where...  is... Minho?"

When Teresa remains silent, Gally scoffs. He walks over to the table and picks up the scalpel. "I suppose there are ways to make you talk if you don't want to." He says- eyeing the scalpel suggestively.

Thomas makes a sound of protest. Immediately, Gally rounds on him. "What," he threatens, "are you squeamish? I bet she's done a lot worse to Minho."

Thomas just shakes his head. "That's not the point."

Gally sighs, obviously aggravated. He shoots a look of contempt at Teresa and motions for her to look at him. She does.

"Where'a Minho?" He tries again.

"Sub level 3." She whispers.

"What about the rest?"

"In holding with him."

"How many?"

"28."

Gally glances at Brenda. She perks up from her game of cards with Jorge and smirks. "I can make that work."

Gally nods, satisfied.

"But wait," Teresa interrupts, "You won't be able to get in. You're tagged."

This time, it's Thomas that steps forward. He drops down so that he's level with Teresa. He holds up the scalpel.

"You're gonna help us with that too."

-le time skip-

An hour later, my neck stings. I hold my hand to the slit in my neck where Teresa has removed the tag. I watch carefully as she does the same to Newt, and then Thomas.

Lily and Theo stand in the corner of the room whispering quietly to each other.

I let a grin adorn my face. Lily may act as if she doesn't care for my brother, but she really doesn't hide it that well.

Theo catches me staring and wiggles his fingers in my direction. I grin at him. Grateful for his presence.

Gally comes up behind me and hands me a WCKD uniform. He gives a right nod and walks towards Frypan with another one.

I turn my gaze towards the logo stitched on the uniform.

This is it. Let the war begin.