Chapter 21

After a moment of stunned silence, everyone springs into action. Shots are fired and people fall like flies. I leap up and make a run for the nearest shelter.

It takes two strides to duck down under the remains of a tent. I spot a small rifle lying on the ground.

Taking a deep breath, I snatch it up. Alright this is it. My chance.

I calculate my options. At this point, Minho is shooting at random guards and urging Thomas on. Newt follows Thomas with Frypan. I see Janson stumble backwards holding a bloody arm. I inwardly grin at that.

Which leaves me, Aris and Sonya in the battlefield. Both of them are struggling in the grips of their captures.

I heave the rifle up to my elbows and aim at the guards.

I shift awkwardly. This will never work if I can't get a clear shot. Clenching my jaw harder, I focus the barrel of the gun back to the guards.

Too late.

The guards are already man-handling Aris and Sonya into the berg.

"NO!" I yell- all efforts to be inconspicuous going out of the window.

I must have attracted the attention of Newt and Thomas, because both of them are now frantically waving their hands to get back.

I don't listen.

The next thing I hear almost sends me stumbling to the ground.

"MINHO! NO!"

And there he is. Being dragged to the berg whilst jerking with the power of the lightning bomb thing he's been struck with.

I surge forward to help him, but am intercepted by a WCKD guard. He holds a gun in his hands. "Hands up where I can see them. You're coming with me."

A sudden rush of anger pulses through my veins.

You've taken too much from me to ever go back there.

With a grunt, I swing my leg around and knock the side of his head. The guard stumbles, but doesn't fall.

So I purse my lips and do the one thing that is left to do at this particular moment in time.

I kick him where the sun doesn't shine.

He groans and doubles over, which gives me all the invitation I need to blast him with my rifle.

Now breathing heavily, I back up. An arm makes contact with my forearm and I gasp loudly, spinning around.

The concerned face of Newt comes into view. I sigh- relieved.

I throw my arms around his neck, catching him off balance. Nevertheless, he wraps his arms around my waist and rests his face into the crook of my shoulder.

And that's how we stay. With my eyes fixed on the retreating figure of the berg that holds the friends that I couldn't save.

I grit my teeth.

I will get them back.

WCKD won't know what's hit them.

A/N: i apologise. I do struggle writing action scenes. But hopefully, it's not too bad.