Chapter 26

A/N: This is the third chapter I've posted today. Please make sure you read Chapters 24 and 25 first, or this one won't make sense. Thanks so much, dear readers! <3

___

The dining hall proved to be yet another imposing structure. Kimball resembled Art Deco structures from the 1930s with a strange brick obelisk structure rising from its center.

I expected to wait for Helen at the main entrance, but Eric led me down the steps towards the side entrance. He held open the door for me before we walked into the lower food court. 

Separate stations offered a wide range of food from soups and salads to fast food burgers and wraps. My stomach gave another ominous rumble like a distant thunderstorm.

"They have decent regular coffee here," Eric said, walking towards a row of black plastic coffee dispensers. "But you can order a fancier one if you prefer."

"No thanks," I said, scouring the prices. Seventy cents for the cheap brew. Almost two bucks for a specialty coffee. I could afford seventy cents. "I like black coffee."

"Me too." He paused and gave me an uncertain look. "May I invite you?"

Oh, gosh! What do I say? 

Should I act like an independent feminist? Or should I accept his offer graciously?

Why don't they teach you this shit in school? 

I opted for a moderate stance. "Sure, if you don't mind."

"Not at all. I'll use my meal plan."

The assistant booped his student ID before Eric and I took our coffee to go. As we stood in the warm sun, we chatted about Die Brücke while we were waiting for Helen in front of Kimball. 

A bitter gust of wind bit through my lighter jacket, reminding me that winter was still whispering its last goodbyes. I shivered and gulped the coffee, more enticed by its warmth than its flavor. 

"Are you cold, Jess?" He put down his coffee and shrugged off his expensive black pea coat. "Here...you can wear this if you like."

"Oh, I don't want you to get cold." My cheeks burned with embarrassment and held up my paper cup. "This will warm me up."

"I don't mind," he said in a wary tone, analyzing my reaction. "I'm too warm anyway."

Oh, gosh! He's so thoughtful.

"Thank you," I said in a grateful whisper, prompting him to drape it across my shoulders. 

Surrounded by his warmth, tingles traveled from head to toe. I caught a faint hint of his manly shower gel every time I took a breath. True to my crazy shape, it fit snugly across my shoulders and chest, but my short arms couldn't make it through the long sleeves. 

I held up the ends. No idea what came over me, but I made a silly monster noise that made him laugh. God, it was the first time he'd laughed like that. From the depths of his soul. 

It made my heart swell with an odd warmth.

"It suits you really," he said with a grin, "apart from the arms, of course."

"I've never worn a pea coat," I said, pretending to model it for him. 

He laughed again. This time a soft, gentle laugh that warmed my heart. When our eyes locked again, it felt like he'd caught me in his snare. His eyes like a dark, starry night. 

So quickly that I almost didn't notice, his gaze flicked to my lips before he backed away. He cleared his throat, but it didn't fix the gravel. 

"So you liked the movie?" he asked.