Chapter 39

A/N: This is a double update, so please read Chapter 38 first! <3 

Tomorrow is the last update, and then the book is finished ahhhhhhhhh! 

Thank you for all your support, my dear readers. I know I need to edit this chapter, but the deadline is tomorrow and I'm freaking out! lol

___

Being completely blind without my glasses meant I could properly enjoy the grand reveal at the end of a hairdo. I gasped with delight. Angel had swept my long hair up and teased it into tight curls held in place with a pearl comb and about a gallon of hairspray. 

Tendrils hung down to soften the look. 

No lie, it belonged on a Disney princess. 

"I love it," I exclaimed. "Thank you, Angel."

"You look positively fabulous," he said with a broad grin. He turned to Mom and Yaya. "You both have beautiful granddaughters."

They sat proud as Jack and Bryan after defeating the enemy team. 

I turned to Care and my mouth fell open. "Oh, sis! You look absolutely gorgeous!"

Her ebony hair hung half-down in long, glossy waves, the rest swept back into a gorgeous princess braid lined with decorative flower pins. When I handed Care her glasses, she squealed with delight.

On the way home, we worried about every bump and swerve ruining our beautiful hairstyles, something I never thought neither of us would ever do. 

Care and I slunk into our dresses and high heels. While she wore a strapless gown of pure white silk covered by sheer gossamer, my royal purple silk gown rustled as it cascaded to the floor. 

Shit, I've lost weight again! Fuck, you can see my bra!

"Oh, no!" I exclaimed as I twisted this way and that as part of my giant granny bra gaped above the dark purple gown. Back then they didn't have cute bras my size. "This is a fashion disaster."

"Don't worry," said Mom. "I can fix this."

She found a couple of large safety pins and covered the offending material so that nothing showed. I breathed a sigh of relief, jumping up and down to make sure everything stayed in place. 

Stupid primping sucks!

After a car door had slammed shut, I rushed to the window and caught a peek of our little ensemble through the horizontal blinds. Right on time, Eric and Jack got out of the black limo dressed in expensive, fancy black tuxes. Dressed in a gray tux, Bryan held out his hand for his new date--a short, pretty blonde girl I recognized from church--and sauntered to Care's front door. 

They all walked up to Care's house and rang the doorbell.

So soon? Damn, I'm not ready yet!

I added a touch more hairspray to my elaborate hairdo while Care tightened the clips holding her princess braid in place. The last thing we needed was for our styles to fall to smithereens after the first fast dance.

"Don't run to the door, sweetheart," called Yaya from the living room. "I'll get it."

"Little worry of that," muttered Grandad. "They've been up in that bathroom for hours."

"Yes, don't ruin your beautiful hair," Mom called up to us as I fussed with a wayward lock, smoothing it down with one last dab of hairspray.

"Don't forget to leave time for pictures," said Grandad.