𝟬𝟮. new light

CHANGE | CHAPTER TWO

     𝐖hen she stepped out of the precinct, her eyes landed on the thick vines surrounding the whole city, making themselves one with the buildings

     𝐖hen she stepped out of the precinct, her eyes landed on the thick vines surrounding the whole city, making themselves one with the buildings. It caused a bit of destruction, and that was the problem they were facing at the moment although she didn't really think it was a problem. Cloud flew below the clouds, soaring over the city, and found three familiar faces standing on a bridge with a small group of reporters and none other than President Raiko himself.

    Her eyes twitched from annoyance. The man had been getting on her nerves lately with his abrasive decisions. 

    She arrived just in time, safely landing on the bridge as she clipped her glider shut, arriving just in time as Korra entered the Avatar State. The girl bended out swirls of water around the vines, and as she closed the loops, she infused positive spiritual energies to the water, causing them to glow gold. The vines slowly retreats, and the press looked on in awe.

     When the vines fully retreated, Korra stopped bending and bowed in respect. "Go in peace."

    The crowd clapped and the reporters approached her. Cloud had a hard time breaking through them, and accidentally huffed loudly than she'd normally do, and caused a a gust of wind that pushed them away from her. She took that as an opportunity and walked towards her friends, ignoring the reporters' obnoxious voices.

     "How did you know what to do?"

     "Will you send the spirits away now?"

     "How soon can we expect public water service to resume?"

     A loud splash was heard, and the vines suddenly started growing back, startling everyone else in the vicinity. The vines grew denser than before and had grown to inundate the opposite block. A boy standing by the window recoiled in shock at the state of the growth. The weight of the vine caused the building to tilt toward the bridge. The reporters ran away for their safety.

    "Look out!" Korra yelled as she grabbed her staff, Cloud doing the same thing and followed Korra towards the crumbling building.

    Cloud airbent the door open, ripping it off its hinges as Korra guided the worried occupants outside to evacuate. Korra had flown off to somewhere above her and she was left to fend off with the civilians while Lin and Bolin tried to hold up the building with their earthbending, keeping it from toppling over the people. She knew it wouldn't be long before the old building crumbled down from the dense vines that wrapped itself around it.

    "Hurry! Go!" Cloud exclaimed, hurrying the rest of the people out of the building.

     The last thing she saw was the building crumbling above her. Cloud braced herself for the impact, briefly hearing the frightful shouts of her friends. However, she burst through the fallen debris and propelled herself upwards, landing on the ground with a deep breath. Dust and small rocks from the rubbles covered her clothes and hair as she bent down to cough out loud.

     "Sheesh. I almost died." Cloud shook her head in disbelief, glancing around to see that the people were safe, but there was one thing that didn't survived.

    The airbender swore her heart almost stopped when she felt something wrong. She slowly looked down at her hands and her eyes widened━the darkest shade of blue in her eyes were practically frantically swimming around with disbelief. Tears were threatening to fall from them, but there was nothing but a sudden ache in her chest.

    "No," Cloud gasped quietly, and to confirm her suspicions, she lifted up her orange glider, intensely staring at it before feeling her heart break as the staff finally snapped into two.

    It felt like she just lost a best friend, a comrade, and a partner. Cloud sat on her comforting bed after going straight home. Her legs pressed against her chest as she continued staring at the permanent damage on her long time glider. It had been with her ever since she was old enough to walk on her own.

     Even though she didn't have airbending at an early age, Tenzin had agreed to gift her the precious staff. The only thing that made her feel close to being an airbender when she couldn't bend.

    But when she turned eight, that's when her abilities came to life and the orange glider that used to sit in the corner of room was put to use. That's when she realize━she loved the feeling of the air sweeping the hair out of her face and the warm breeze that comes along with it. All because of her glider and some airbending, she got to do what she found out that she love the most.

      Even if it was only a stick━it couldn't talk, it couldn't eat, and it couldn't possibly understand her complaints, but it was there for her when she always needed it. She studied the drawings, the scratches and the colors on the wooden staff, remembering the memories behind them.

     She really went through under a building and broke her glider just because she didn't realize she used it to summon an air shield to save her from a sudden death. She was terribly devastated, but then again, it saved her life and multiple others.

     "Cloudy? You in there?" The airbender looked up and straightened her legs forward before she glanced at the owner of the voice.

     "Oh, hey, Bo." She slightly waved, earning a confused look from the boy when he noticed her state, and when his eyes landed on the bed, he felt himself frowning even more.

     "Oh, no," Bolin mumbled, seeing the broken glider. He knew how much she loved that thing like it was her family.

    "Yeah." Cloud shrugged, trying to act nonchalant. "What's going on? Why are you here?"

    "There's something going on at the bridge." He scratched the back of his nape rather awkwardly. "And they might need your help."

    Her eyes lit up, and she immediately jumped up from her bed. "My help?"

     "Yes, Cloudy." Bolin grinned, hyping up the excited state of his friend. The least he could do was make her feel better, even just a little. "Your help. Now, come on."