𝟭𝟯. stolen lullabies

CHANGE | CHAPTER THIRTEEN

     𝐈f her friends had told her earlier that Lin and her little sister got into a huge fight━she would've been there instead of walking around Zaofu

     𝐈f her friends had told her earlier that Lin and her little sister got into a huge fight━she would've been there instead of walking around Zaofu. Cloud heard they made quite a mess, but in the end, it seemed like Lin had softened up. At least her version of soft, and even smiled at them, which was very surprising enough since she never does that around them. Maybe when they have their backs turned to her, but still, that counts.

    Also, it would be a lie to say that Cloud didn't like the chief of police because she does. Hell, she even looked up to her. Lin was the one who inspired her to become part of the United Forces. Sure, she was in the middle of the sea quite a lot but when they had time, Bumi would always take her to visit the people he knows━and he knows a lot of people. Lin Beifong was one of them.

    Being the social butterfly she was, Cloud loved every second of it.

    Naturally, her thoughts drifted to her father and what he could be doing up there in the Northern Temple. Cloud hoped he wasn't being disregarded. People who see Bumi seem to do that a lot. All they saw was the person he showed outside, not the person he hid beneath his silly façade. It was his armor, one he made so he wouldn't feel too out of place.

    After all, if it wasn't for the Harmonic Convergence, he'd never become an airbender. He knew that, too. Nevertheless, even if it never happened━Cloud would still love him just the same.

    Beneath their humorous actions and their witty remarks, brilliant minds were hiding over their mischievously grinning faces. Life was a movie, and the father-daughter decided to be the comedian and the light of the dark to keep the film balanced from the darkness it shows.

    Cloud squished on the seat between Bolin and Korra, the bender held up a telephone beside her ear, listening to the sound of Tenzin's voice on the other line. A smile that reached upon her eyes laid on her face as she listened intently. She hasn't heard a thing from her family ever since they parted ways. She'd love to hear about their adventures, and whatever was going on in the temple.

     "With Beifong's sister in Zaofu. We're totally safe, unless we get caught in another fight between Su and Lin."

     "Lin willingly took you to her sister?" Tenzin gaped, not believing the words she said, making Cloud chuckle under her breath.

     "Not exactly. We got a call about an airbender and it turned out to be Su's daughter Opal. She'll be headed your way soon."

    The excitement in his tone got a certain airbender beside them to feel the same, too. "Really? That's wonderful!"

    "She is wonderful, and pretty, and so smart, and she smells like flowers..." Suddenly, Bolin shouldered Korra aside and grabbed the microphone from her. He only stopped when he noticed Korra was glaring at him, however, Cloud was smiling amusedly. He cleared his throat before sliding away from them. "Sorry. Bolin, out."

     When she heard Tenzin say that her father was the worst student so far, Cloud broke out into fits of giggles. Her uncle heard it on the other side, causing him to sigh under his breath. Of course, Cloud would think that it was hilarious. That's how easily she can feel happy. However, her happiness wasn't that shallow, and she was definitely not stupid. 

     Besides life was better with a little bit of laughter━not too much though since that would mean you're crazy. So far, nothing has tipped her off the edge yet.

     It was the day that Opal would leave for the Northern Air Temple. A certain airbender sat in front of the vanity mirror inside Opal's room, the younger girl standing behind her as she pulled her light brown hair into two braids. Cloud constantly fiddled with her slender fingers, waiting for her to be done. Opal insisted on doing her hair since this would be the last time they'd see each other until she could go back to the temple.

     "Ta-da!" Opal smiled brightly, letting go of her hair as it fell on both of her sides.

     Cloud looked at herself in the mirror, leaning in as she studied the braids with an ever-so-happy smile on her face. The blue arrow tattoo on her head was exposed, which made her even happier. She was that proud of being one of the Air Nomads.

    "You did great! I like it," Cloud beamed, standing up from the chair as she faced the younger girl. She changed into her Air Nomad attire earlier, and she never felt so homesick when she saw herself in the mirror.

    The airbender sat between Wei and Mako, the line of table was quiet, unlike the opposite side where Varrick and her other friends sat around. She couldn't quite hear them from the distance, but she didn't care as she continued to eat her raw veggie wraps, constantly sipping on her watermelon smoothie. Their chef's one hell of a cook. You wouldn't even think he used to be a pirate.

    "What's going on? I can't hear anything. I hate sitting down here!" Mako groaned, straining to hear the conversation from a long way across the table. He grabbed his glass, causing the airbender beside him to glance at him, then at Aiwei, who he also noticed, watching his outburst. He stared at him awkwardly. "Uh, not because of you."

     "I can tell you're lying," Aiwei said dryly. Cloud forced back her laughter inside her throat as she stuffed her face with vegetables.

    Mako slumped in his chair and sipped his drink with an embarrassed expression. Suyin tapped her glass to get everyone's attention. A metallic object tapping against the glass three times was heard. Cloud turned her attention to the middle of the table again where Suyin stood up with a glass raised.

    Suyin started to utter a meaningful speech about her daughter, earning a few reactions from her twins, Wei and Wing who watched the slightly emotional scene. The twins sniffled from beside her, causing Huan who was at the end of the table to roll his eyes. After she finished speaking, everyone raised their glass for a toast.

    It didn't take long for the new airbender to depart. The sun was setting, and the sky looked so beautiful, the colors turning into a luminous orange. The Beifongs and Team Avatar, along with some Metal Clan guards, watched from the docking bay as the airship flew away from them. 

     Opal stood by the window inside of the airship, waving at them with a sad smile on her face, although she was still happy she was able to go to the Northern Air Temple. It was a great opportunity for her, and she would never pass up that chance. She wanted to venture further from her home. Cloud understood her.

     "Lock it down for the night." Kuvira pulled out the radio from a metal bag near her hip, speaking into a walkie-talkie. Cloud sent her a small smile when she walked past her, the latter giving her the tiniest one, but nonetheless, she accepted the kind gesture.

     Lin smiled at the Avatar, before she, Korra, and Bolin began to leave the docking bay. "We'll head out first thing in the morning."

    Cloud was left glued to her feet, anticipating the metal petals of the city to start closing. She heard light footsteps from beside her, and she briefly glanced to the side, finding a certain firebender gazing at her rather adoringly. Mako realized just how deep he was in his feelings for her, and there was no way out.

     The airbender raised an eyebrow at him, the corner of her lips turning up from slight amusement before returning her attention back to the sky. Mako didn't know what to say so he simply turned his gaze towards the sky, watching the metal petals close in harmony, covering the orange-lit skies, and the sunset on the west side.

    For the first time in his life, he felt contented.