𝟬𝟰. change your ticket

BALANCE | CHAPTER FOUR

     𝐓he airbender woke up to a start

     𝐓he airbender woke up to a start. Cloud groggily pushed everything away from her on the shared bed in the small room of a decent apartment as she stretched her arms. But then suddenly she caught a whiff of something burning in the air. Her eyes went wide and she abruptly sat up from the bed, staring at the chipping paint on the walls for a second until her mind slowly processed what was going on.

    The room looked normal, except for the few books scattered on the bedside table, the Air Nomad cape hanging on the door, and the discarded Republic City police uniform strewn across the chair.

     It only took her a minute. Then Cloud decided to go to the kitchen where the awful burning odor was coming from. The airbender only had one person in her mind.

    "Hmm," Cloud drawled, sarcasm laced in her tone as she entered the kitchen. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

    "Cloudy!" A certain firebender jumped in surprise, a nervous smile on his face. Mako stood in front of the stove without a shirt on, a smoking pan held in his right hand, and a spatula in the other. "You're awake."

    "Yes, I am." Cloud walked towards him, puckering her lips in suspicion as the man tried to hide the cooking pan from her eyesight. "What are you cooking?"

    "Uh... something?"

    "Mako."

    Mako sighed defeatedly and placed the pan back on the stove and the spatula on the counter. A frown appeared on his face as his shoulders slumped down. He looked adorable, with his dark hair all over the place, pointing in every direction, despite the fact he was shirtless and he had really nice arms. Cloud tried to ignore that fact. Failed.

    "I thought I'd try something new," Mako grumbled. He sent her a defensive look, his eyes resembling a kicked puppy. "I'm not a bad cook."

    "I know... You should've told me though." Cloud looked at him adoringly, placing her hands on his shoulder and squeezing them, releasing some of the tension around his broad shoulders. Her hands trailed on his, and she held them as she looked up at his face. "I could've helped."

    "I didn't want to wake you," Mako sighed under his breath, trapping her between the counter, letting go of her hands and putting them on her hips. "You looked really peaceful."

    She suddenly grinned and smacked his shoulders. "You were very right about that, fireboy." 

    "Cloudy!" He groaned, watching his rowdy girlfriend grab a piece of bread on the table instead as she walked away.

    "Go get ready," Cloud told him before a playful grin slipped on her face. "Your dear wittle prince's probably waiting for you in his junior suite now."