𝟬𝟱. not strong enough

BALANCE | CHAPTER FIVE

     𝐂loud found Korra, Jinora, Opal, and Bataar Sr

     𝐂loud found Korra, Jinora, Opal, and Bataar Sr. outside the house. It seemed like Suyin's husband had filled them up about his wife's secret mission. The man looked worried, hunched over his knees. She quickly clipped her glider shut, and dropped on the ground in front of the the girls, immediately taking their attention. Despite the relief of seeing her fine, Suyin and the twins' absence made them worried.

     "Cloudy, where are they?" Korra demanded as she rushed toward them.

     Cloud shook her head regrettably. "It's Kuvira. She knew Su was going for her."

     "Why were you there?" 

     "I thought maybe somehow I could convince her not to do it. Su thought it was the only way this ends."

     "Attention citizens of Zaofu." The speakers around Zaofu suddenly crackled to life, making everybody shift at the noise. "Your leader, Su Beifong, attempted to attack me tonight while I slept, ignoring the terms of our truce. Luckily, I now have her and her assault team in custody."

     Opal's face ashened. "No."

     Kuvira continued. "Rest assured that I will not take revenge on the peaceful citizens of Zaofu, unless your remaining representatives meet me outside the city at dawn to offer the full and unconditional surrender of your city. That is all."

     As Kuvira's voice faded, Opal turned toward Korra, furious. "Korra, you can't let Kuvira get away with this! We have to go break out Mom and my brothers!"

     "You swore an oath of non-aggression when you became an airbender," Jinora said, irked by her aggression. Her eyes narrowed. "You can't just attack Kuvira!"

     "I don't care about the oath!" Opal exclaimed. "I have to save my family!"

     "Yes, we can't attack her," Cloud agreed, her Air Nomad and military sides clashing together. "But if she retaliates first, then we'll have no choice."

     Korra put a hand on Opal's shoulder, trying to calm her down. "No, Jinora is right. Your mom attacked the camp. Kuvira was just defending herself."

     "Defending herself?" Opal angrily shrugged Korra's hand off her. The latter took a small step back. "She was going to attack our city! I can't believe you're refusing to fight!"

     Their brewing argument was cut off by the sound of the doors of a house behind them opening, Meelo and Ikki emerging wearing nightclothes, having been woken by Kuvira's announcement. A worried Bataar Sr. joined the younger group, seemingly aged more in a matter of minutes. Not knowing whether his wife and sons were fine was eating him up on the inside because he couldn't do much to help them.