Chapter 16- Part Two

*Warning: mentions of suicide and self harm- Motel California time*

Isaac snapped out of the haze he was in as soon as the flare made contact with his skin. Carter let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. 

Carter helped him out from under the bed, tears threatening to spill from her eyes. 

"Isaac-" Carter reaches for him, Isaac immediately pulls her into a bone crushing hug.

"What the hell was that." He said.

"I-I should have known, I should have been here for you." Carter said knowing she could have helped him a lot sooner. "I-I'm sorry Isaac, I-"

He pulls away as his hands still rest on my arms, a confused look crosses his face. 

"Carter, hey, it's okay, we're okay." He starts. "You're here now and that's all that matters. Thank you."

He smiles embracing his girl in his arms again. The thought of losing Isaac scared Carter, and tonight just proved how much he has impacted her life. 

Stiles looks between us and smiles nodding his head. 

They now ran out the door to find Scott.

..........

They made it down the steps of the motel, seeing Scott holding the last flare above a large puddle of gasoline. 

A gasp escapes Carters lips as she realized he has also covered himself in gasoline. 

"Scott... Scott." Allison starts as she walks over to him, careful not to step in the leaking gasoline. 

They all hold their breaths as they see Scott, looking lost... hopeless.

Carter's heart hurts seeing her best friend looking broken. 

"There's no hope." He says, his voice cracking.

Tears build up in Carter's eyes, "What do you mean Scott? There's always hope." she smiled softly towards him.

"Not for me. Not for Derek." He says. "Every time I try to fight back, it keeps getting worse, people keep getting hurt, people keep getting killed." 

"Scott, listen to me, okay?" Her brother says stepping towards the scene. "This isn't you, all right? This is someone inside your head telling you to do this."

"What if it isn't. What if it is just me." Scott replies, his face showing the hurt and pain he's feeling. "What if doing this is the best thing that I could do for everyone else?"

Carter stared at her best friend in fear of losing him. Tears trace down her cheeks. Scott was sniffling, trying to hold himself together. 

He continued, "It all started that night, the night I got bitten. You remember the way it was before that? You, me, and Carter, we were... we were... we were nothing. We weren't popular. We weren't good at lacrosse. We weren't important. We were no one. Maybe I should just be no one again. No one at all."

Carter inhaled sharply, Isaac places a comforting arm around her waist. They all held fearful faces.

Stiles steps closer towards him, "Scott, just listen to me, okay? You're not no one. Okay? You're someone, you're... Scott, you're my best friend. You're Carter's best friend. Okay? And I need you. Scott, you're my brother. All right, so... so if you're gonna do this, then... I think you're just gonna have to take me with you. All right?"

Carter's eyes widen, my heart felt like it was pounding out of my chest, "Stiles." 

She couldn't lose her best friend, her brother or anyone. It would completely shatter her. She was crying as Stiles looked at his sister, nodding his head telling her it was going to be okay.

Stiles was shaking, reaching his hand to the flare. He threw it to the side, but Carter quickly noticed it roll back towards them. 

"No!" Carter screamed breaking away from Isaac, with a swift movement of her arms, using her power she threw Scott and Stiles out of the gasoline before it caught fire. Isaac grabbed Carter's arm pulling her away from the explosion of flames, she cried silently into his chest, tonights events being the most terrifying thing they have ever been through. 

After they had gotten up from the ground and made sure Scott was okay, Carter ran towards the two who were already hugging. She basically tackled the two embracing them in a bear hug. 

They both chuckled, gripping onto Carter. The three hugged, not wanting to let go. 

..........

The group had decided sleeping on the bus was the safest option, none of them wanted to enter the motel from hell ever again. 

They all had chosen different rows to camp out for the night. Isaac leaned against the window as Carter rested on his chest. He held her hand. Soon she heard the soft breaths escaping his lips, indicating he was asleep. Carter looked around once more to make sure the people she loved were okay. Eventually she drifted off to the sounds of Isaac's chest rising and falling. 

"I don't want to know. I really don't want to know, but in case you missed the announcement, the meet's cancelled, so we're heading home. Pack it in. Pack it in!"

Everyone jolted awake from the sudden noise coming from Coach. Isaac and Carter look at each other smiling. They had made it till morning.

Coach yelled out, "Hey, Ethan, I wanted to..."

"Coach, can I see your whistle for a second? What's that?" Lydia started, reaching towards his whistle. 

"Hey, Eth... I'm gonna need that back." He said pointing at Lydia. "Ethan!"

Lydia sits down, they all leaned in to see what she was looking for.

She wrapped her hand around the whistle, blowing into it. 

Her eyes widened towards us, showing her hand, "Wolfsbane."

Stiles looked at the purple dust laying in her hand, "So every time the coach blew the whistle on the bus, Scott, Isaac, Boyd..."

"-and Ethan." Lydia added.

"They all inhaled it... the whole way here." Carter said, her eyes widening.

"You were all poisoned by it." Allison added.

"So that's how the Darach got in their heads. That's how he did it." Stiles said reaching for the whistle. He quickly opened the window, throwing the whistle out. Not wanting it to be able to harm the wolves again. 

"Hey, hey, hey, hey! Stilinski!" Coach screamed at Stiles, Carter cant help but laugh. 

Isaac rubs her arm with his fingers, pulling her closer for the drive home. 

Home. Thank God. 

...........

edited 7/4/21