Chapter 23

In his almost 60 years of living, Zhou RenShu had died twice. Both times felt like an odd dream. His mind wandered through the different stages of his life. The faces of his parents were blurred since he had been too young to recognize them as a mother and father. The multitude of children that surrounded him everyday at the orphanage for demons were also blurred. Everyday, children would be brought in or adopted, on the odd occasion some would die.

It wasn't until Zohu RenShu got older that the faces started to differentiate from each other, various features standing out while some faded into the background. Wu Yun appeared, a memory Li Qing had brought forward was watched again. A small sense of anxiety and fear crept up his spine as the person murdered snake after snake.

More faces passed, the old coworkers and bosses that would humiliate and torment him stood out among the crowd, their bodies becoming larger and larger until they towered over the small petrified body of Zhou RenShu, their horrid words screamed inside Zhou RenShu's head until it felt like exploding. Even though Zhou RenShu ran with all the power in his skeletal legs the voices continued to surround him.

Zhou RenShu ran and ran until the dark scenery around him changed, warm bright lights shone in the distance, the further he ran the quieter the space became, Zhou RenShu transformed into a moon white snake and slithered as if his life depended on it, with the last of the voices fading away, Zhou RenShu dove into the warm light. His body fell from a great height.

His vision blurred as loud hisses came from his mouth. Zhou RenShu thought he would fall forever until his body landed on a bed of soft flowers, the pollen the bees had yet to take, floated in the warm air, falling down like droplets of sunlight. His body mixed with the scent of the colourful flowers, his pale white scales absorbing the falling pollen changing his body into a warm pale yellow. Only once the wild flowers surrounding his small body had lost their beautiful scent, did Zhou RenShu change back into his human body.

The field of flowers danced along the warm breeze while the trees swayed rhythmically. Zhou RenShu stood up, his naked body taking the heat from the large sun. The river sounded further away than he remembered as if it had carved a new road for itself. While his pale body was turning pink with warmth, multiple figures walked out of the tree lining.

A circle of Liu Yong's surrounded Zhou RenShu, each figure wearing a different face. Cold, anger, annoyance, disgust, happiness, lust, crazed, ominous and more. They all surrounded Zhou RenShu. His body trembled as the sky darkened for the first time, the sun hiding behind a thick layer of clouds. The group of Liu Yong's stepped closer, one figure disappearing, with another step another figure would fade. Zhou RenShu crouched down as his breath caught in his throat.

He knew every detail about Liu Yong, these faces he had all seen. Another step closer. Zhou RenShu shook his head as the faces blurred into the one of disgust then anger before finally there were only two left. Zhou RenShu looked up and to his left, Liu Yong stared down at him with a stone face, his lips set in a flat line while his eyes were cold, it was as if winter was held in his one gaze.

To his right, another Liu Yong stared down at him. A cold smirk sat smugly but his eyes weren't playful or cold. Liu Yong looked at Zhou RenShu as if he wanted to monopolise him, images of endless days and nights spent in bed with this man tearing at his skin flitted across Zhou RenShu's eyes, drawing tears. The sound of his broken sobs and tired pleads rang through his ears, even when he tried to use his hands to muffle the sound, his terrified voice was still heard.

The man staring down at him laughed, the sound making Zhou RenShu back away. He tried to stand to run away but his legs felt weak. The same weakness felt in those images running through his body. Zhou RenShu crawled away from the two men, the sound of the far away river fading. He didn't want this man, he didn't want the endless pain and suffering. In a panic Zhou RenShu kept trying to distance himself from the two men.