Author's Note

This story is a rewrite of something I started back in high school and never finished. The COVID pandemic has left me unemployed for the foreseeable future as I was a substitute teacher before the pandemic hit, and I'm currently job hunting now that I'm out of grad school. 

Something drew me to start writing again, and to rewrite this story in particular. The title may change at some point and maybe the cover, I don't know. But Bruised and Scarred is what it was called when I first wrote it. The title was inspired by the Mayday Parade song of the same name. Maybe I'll put together a Spotify playlist of songs featured in this story someday. 

This story does feature sexual assault and abuse, self-harm, depression, mental illness, queer romance, and alcohol and drug use and references. Most mentions of abuse and self-harm are not too detailed, but if I feel that something may be particularly triggering I will put a note in the beginning of the chapter. 

This is the first time I've written since I was like 20, so I'm a little rusty. But I hope you all enjoy this story, and I welcome any and all constructive feedback you can give. Writing was always a hobby of mine when I was younger and I realized I kind of let a lot of my hobbies die while in college and grad school. So I'm trying to get back into it. 

Thanks for reading, 

Jess