Strong Enough

We heard the sound of the front door closing and voices coming from downstairs. Kate and I looked at each other and then to the condoms I had sprawled out on the bed, gathering them up quickly I shoved them back into their box and placed the box back in the drawer next to the bed before we left the room.

Taking the stairs to the kitchen I'm surprised to see Lucas standing there with Sam, It was close to 9pm on a Sunday night. What surprised me more was the sight of the bag I had taken to my Mother's house, sitting at Sam's feet.

That explains Kate's vagueness about Sam's disappearance, she most likely knew where he was going and didn't want to panic me further.

"Hey" I say, entering the kitchen, "You didn't have to do that" I motion towards the bag.

"I wanted you and Bridget to have your things and I didn't want you going back to that house" Sam says. Without thinking I throw my arms around his neck and embrace him tightly, drinking in his scent. He stiffens in my arms, wrapping one of his arms loosely around my waist.

"She let you in?" I ask him, my Mother is not the most accommodating person, especially when confronted.

"That's why I took Lucas, turns out he can get your Mum to do anything, she seems to have a soft spot for the lad" Sam laughs softly into my hair, I pull back and move over to Lucas, wrapping him up in a hug which throws him for a moment.

"Thank you" I whisper to him, I attempt to move away after our hug but he wraps an arm around my waist and holds me close to him. I look up at Kate, still standing on the last stair, willing her not to say anything, I don't need to confrontation right now. Luckily she keeps her mouth shut and steps further into the kitchen.

"I brought your car here too" Sam says, his face unreadable as he watches me trapped in Lucas' arm.

"Oh shit, my tyre. I still have to get a new one and get Dad to put it on" I stress. In all the commotion I had forgotten all about my car.

"It's done" Sam tells me, "That's what I was doing when you called me"

I want to cross the kitchen and kiss him, I don't care if Lucas sees me do it, I want Sam even though I don't deserve him but he doesn't want me anymore so instead I stand in my place and give him a simple thank you.

"Why didn't you call me?" Lucas asks, his voice laced with hurt and jealousy.

"Bridget asked me to call Sam" and let's face it Lucas, you witnessed Carson's aggression first hand against me and did fuck all.

"I guess that makes sense, he is her boyfriend" Lucas reasons with himself, "I just would have liked to be there for you too baby, I still love you, even though we're not together right now" He kisses my forehead while I stare at Sam who picks up a mug and slams it hard onto the titled floor, smashing it into many pieces. I break free from Lucas, grabbing a broom from the nearby laundry to help clear up the mess. Fragments of ceramic scattered all of the kitchen floor.

"Sorry" Sam apologies to us, sweeping the broken mug into a pan and emptying it into the kitchen bin. There's so much tension in the air and the only person unaware of it is Lucas.

"It's alright mate, he was my friend and I'm so fucking angry right now, I feel like smashing things too" Lucas says to Sam, placing a hand on his back

"Well I should be going" Kate says, trying to drop the hint to Lucas.

"Yeah, I should be going too" Lucas says and I breathe a sigh of relief, "School and all tomorrow"

Shit, school, I don't want to walk in there with a giant hand print wrapped around my neck, Petra would have a field day with seeing that.