Don't Speak

"Blue is not your colour" Bridget reminded me as I held up a beautiful satin, floor length dress that I found on a rack at Hearts Formal, we'd been in here 20 minutes and she was dismissing all the dresses I had found that I liked and although her criticism was constructive, it was starting to limit my options.

"Blue is Sam's favourite colour, I want his eyes to pop out of his head when he sees me" I tell her, placing the dress into the ever growing maybe pile that I was forming on a seperate rack at the back of the store. Kate came out of the dressing room, dressed in a floor length, crimson red dress, the top was halter neck with beautiful ruby beads stitched in and the bottom fanned out from the hips, which will be perfect for hiding her pregnant belly under, by November, when the formal would be held, she would be 7 months.

"Is Sam coming back for the formal?" Kate asked me surprised as she did a spin for Bridget to gain dress approval, the smile spread on Bridget's face said she loved the dress already, which was great news for Kate, she could stop looking and take up a seat next to Bridget on the judgmental couch.

"We haven't talk about it, I guess we'll have to just wait to see if our schedules match up" I pull out a burgundy coloured dress in the same style as the blue one Bridget had vetoed just a minute ago. I loved the style and was hoping she'd compromise on the colour, Bridget gave me a nod of approval and I sauntered off to the dressing room, hoping this would be the one for me, I was over shopping already. 

The dress was strapless and the material was heavier than any of the other dresses I had tried on that morning. I zipped it up at the back and looked at myself in the mirror. I loved it, it was elegant and classic and the top part hugged my curves perfectly while the bottom flowed around my legs, giving me room to move. I don't care what Bridget says, this is the dress I'm wearing.

When I graced out of the dressing room her face lit up with awe. I held the bottom of the dress up as I glided across the room to stand next to Kate. My hair was in need of a wash and I wasn't wearing a stitch of make-up but in this dress I felt like a princess.

"Well it's good to see that when it comes time for my own formal in two years I will have the option of both these dresses" Bridget says, looking delighted, I had a sneaky suspicion that's why she was pushing me towards certain colours and styles, she was looking to get my hand-me-down, to save herself forking out a fortune.

We changed back into our own clothes and put our orders in for the dresses, paying a small deposit now and arranging to pay off the rest over the next three months.

"Now we need to look at heels" Bridget says as we're leaving the store.

"I'm wearing flats" Kate tells her. "My feet already ache and are swollen, I can't imagine how bad they'll be by November and anyway, our dresses hide our shoes so no one will know anyway."

Bridget accepted that answer but wasn't ready to just leave the mall just yet, this was her idea of utopia, hundreds of stores, all with huge sales.

"Let's get some lunch and then we can browse some more.' I suggested because Kate looked like she needed to sit down and take a load off. The food court was located at the end of the mall, which meant we had to pass by every single store to get there, giving Bridget ample opportunities to stop out the front each one and ooo and ahhh over all the new releases, from overalls to cargo pants, it seems that nothing escaped her beady eye's attention.

"Hey, that guy up there looks exactly like Sam" Kate says, pointing to a boy, same height as Sam, dressed exactly how Sam dresses, but it couldn't be him, he wasn't coming home until Tomorrow afternoon. Bridget was busy searching through a discount rack but looked up at the mere mention of Sam.