Tearin' Up My Heart

Sam 1999

"Why's Veronica getting into Lucas' car with him" Bridget asked me as she sat in the passenger seat of mine, watching her sister and the dick drive away together. The rational part of me knew I could trust Veronica, she wouldn't fall back into the habit of believing his bullshit lies, she'd come so far to just throw it all away now but then there was that other voice in my head, the one that was always there, convincing me that this thing between us had an expiry date and one day she would leave me for him.

"Warden's making them do a History assignment together. It's his way of punishing me for mouthing off in his class" To say I regret what I did is an understatement, if I had known that this would be the result of me trying to have one over the bastard then I would have just kept my mouth shut.

I'd still of had sex on his desk though, that I don't regret one bit. I loved how illicit it all was, the thrill that we could get caught drives me and knowing that I'm sharing these sensual experiences with the woman I love excites me.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have envisioned that my life with Veronica would be this amazing. I never actually considered myself having a shot with her really, she was always so out of reach...in Lucas' arms and I was never going to cross that line and take her from him while they were together but there's no doubt in my mind that he won't show me the same level of respect and not try something tonight.

"Those two are so getting back together" She says so casually, like I'm not even sitting beside her.

"What the fuck Bridge?" Because my insecurity about my girlfriend spending the afternoon with her ex wasn't already eating away at me my best friend has to confirm my fears for me?

She looks over at me with apologetic eyes, I know she didn't intentionally mean to hurt me, Bridget and I have had many conversations about exactly this but usually she's the one reassuring me that my fears are nothing, that Veronica and I are solid.

"I'm sorry Sam but I feel that it's time you face up to the truth, you're leaving and like I told you the night I found out about My dad's diagnose, there's no future for you and Veronica, she has to stay here because of Dad, you know that."

"And like I told you that night, I'm not breaking up with her, we can survive long distance."  Pulling out of the school car park and towards the Kreslin house, it feels so strange to be driving there without my girl, I've become to used to having her by my side.

"Well put me down for a giant 'I told you so' when she tells you next year that she slept with Lucas. I've seen her break up and make up with that guy more times than I can count." Bridget huffs in frustration, indicating that there may be some sort of underlying issue that has nothing to do with Me or Veronica.

"How's things with Amber?" I ask her. We've talked at extent about the communication becoming almost a bare minimum between the two, which was driving Bridget to question her feelings.

"Just peachy" There's no disguising the sarcasm in her tone. She stares out the window for the rest of the trip but I hear a small sniffle every now and then. Pulling into her driveway, I kill the engine and place a hand on her shoulder. I hate seeing Bridget upset, she's the sweetest person and when she cries it breaks me inside to not be able to fight her battles for her, especially now when the battles just seem to keep coming at her.

"What happened Bridge?"

"She met someone else, she emailed me today to tell me all about him" The bitterness spilling out of Bridget over Amber moving on and with a boy. "I felt like I was nothing to her but she was everything to me. It was all pretend on her end, her feelings for me were fake, the love we expressed to each other, fuck Sam, she was even a fake lesbian"