The Cold December Day

Hey everyone I am really really really sorry about not posting in a while. But I'm back and I am not giving up on this book don't worry it will be completed!

______________________________________________

The day after the ball at breakfast Percy and Jason eliminated two girls each. (Kayla Knowles, Lou Ellen Blackstone, Nyssa Barrera, and Miranda Gardner). 

The selection progressed and a semi-slow pace which was odd considering we were officially down to the final ten.

I spent most of my time with Piper and Selina or in the library. 

Seeing the royals became a rarity.

Even though no one said anything you could feel the tension in the air.

It was hard to decipher whether it was the fast approaching end of the selection or the unknown fighting with the rebels. 

To the regular eye the increased guards wouldn't stand out, but to someone who spent a good portion of their childhood at the castle and studying formatted plans it was obvious.

I tried to not pay attention to the guards who would stare and watch my every move as I walked down the halls.

At breakfast a week after the ball Piper mentioned that the increase in guards made her nervous.

I reassured her it was nothing and just for protection even though I agreed with her. 

Before all the royals went into "hiding", Thalia informed us she got a letter from Coraline.

She informed everyone that she was in Sparta discussing the security of the country with Lord Ares. 

Apparently the rebels had started to get bolder and were starting to plan more attacks on the city-states. 

"Miss!" Michelle's voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

I look up at her questioningly.

"I suggest you grab a coat or throw if you're going to the library again since it is starting to get colder." she said smiling holding both out for me to grab.

Thats another thing, the weather had started to take a turn making everything colder. 

The castle had heating and fireplaces but since it was so big the heating barely made a difference in the long corridors. 

Giving her a small smile I gratefully grabbed the poncho throw over and headed down to the library.

I walked in gave Chiron a smile before heading over to the greek mythology section.

Then as if the coldness were to catch me, I briskly walk to the couches in front of the fire.

I had just settled down when the doors opened with a bang.

Mentally cringing at the sound I turn my attention to the culprit.

There in his formal attire Percy stood with a sheepish look on his face.

"Hey Chiron sorry for the sound, I was just wondering if you had the books Tyson asked for; apparently he is trying to finish the list Annabeth gave him." He said rubbing the back of his neck.

I quietly chuckled at the disapprovingly evil look Chiron was throwing Percy for the sudden burst.

"Of course I have them, why I've had them for days waiting for you to come. Do you know how close I was to having Lady Chase bring them since she has been here everyday. Which is more I can say about you who has been skipping lessons." Chiron says staring Percy down making him look like a puppy who had just been scolded for getting mud in the house.

"Annie has been here everyday? Is she here now?" Percy asks finally toning down his voice like he got caught.

"I scold you about punctuality and all you get from it is whether Lady Chase is here or not! Honestly your Highness you are a lost cause, I pity the poor girl, Gods know how she has and will put up with you." Chiron says messaging his temple before handing Percy the books and pushing him out.

"Wait! You didn't answer my question whether she was here or-" BANG! Chiron slams the door before he can finish his sentence.

"Gods" I hear Chiron mutter "I pray for that boy, he truly has it bad for that girl." he says before chuckling to himself and going behind his desk to finish reading his book.

I turn back around in my seat staring at the fire.

I pick my book back up but can't focus due to my brain going over what Chiron just said.

Who was he talking about "that girl having to put up with him" was he talking about me; and what about when he said Percy had it bad for someone? 

I know I'm smart but this didn't make sense, they brought my name up and then started using pronouns confusing me.

Was Catherine right about Percy having a favorite? Gods I hope not! If I was the original favorite that meant someone was starting to catch Percy's attention and now he was discarding me.

What about the carnival, we had a bunch of fun but was that only because he was being nice or saw me as a friend?!

Maybe if I starting wearing higher heels and letting my hair down he would notice me. 

"Gods" I murmur rubbing my head.

I need to stop overthinking this. And for one thing there was no way in Hades I was going to change myself or lower my self respect for that kelp filled brain to pay attention to me.

I was better than that. And if he didn't like or take me for who I was he can go ahead and chose another girl. 

But I didn't want him to chose someone else! I love him. Wait what!

"UGH" I yelled in frustration before realizing where I was.

"Is everything alright Lady Chase" Chiron said with a small smirk on his face.

"Oh everything is fine Chiron just trying to get comfortable, and we talked about calling me that." I said staring at him.

"Your right Annabeth, why don't you try one of the other couches." he says smiling with a glint in his know telling me he can see straight through my lie.

"Why of course" I giggle (EW since when do I giggle) and walk over to the couch closer to the fire.

"Well if you need anything else don't be afraid to ask" and with that he turns to his book.

'Deep breathes Annabeth' I think before dismissing my previous thoughts and returning to Helen of Troy. Why did I get this book again? 'Oh who cares' I think before burying myself into the book forgetting the world around me.