Christmas: The Season of Lies, Betrayal, & Surprises Pt.1

After the princess arrived home from her travels the castle wasn't so quiet anymore.

I was grateful that Coraline had come home safe and sound.

A small party was held in her honor which really seemed to annoy her but other than that things went right back to how they used to be.

The selected saw more of the royals which relieved me but, they didn't stop and talk.

That dangerously disturbing feeling still hung in the air.

I didn't stop in the corridors and appreciate the architecture like I used to.

Guards started following selected at a distance.

My day became a never ending loop of breakfast, going to class, lunch, more class, library, dinner, and then straight to my room.

Selected girls started pairing up and no one walked alone.

It seemed I wasn't the only one getting an uneasy feeling anymore.

Piper was my unofficial official buddy. We walked everywhere together never leaving the other alone in fear of something happening.

Even though Nancy's death was weeks ago no one felt safe.

As the week of Christmas approach the castle seemed to be basking in a new light.

Everyone had seemed happy and glowing.

Servants and maids ran to and fro decking the hallways and banisters in Christmas decor.

Every year since I was little the castle was always the best place in the world to be for Christmas.

Christmas cheer and spirit was always high and nothing ever dampened the mood.

By Monday everywhere you looked there was Christmas decorations.

At breakfast that morning it was announced that classes were cancelled.

For the rest of the week I enjoyed my small trips to the library and binge watching Holiday films with Piper.

I avoided the other girls as much as possible not wanting to deal with the snide comments and remarks some would make about my "new" placement in the selection.

Even though I knew it would eventually happen sooner or later, I had been praying for the later.

And this is were the season took a downward spiral.

It was Wednesday, there was a definite chill running threw the castle like most winter days.

Pipes was sitting in my room setting up Santa Claus 1,2,&3.

Piper and I's maids had been busy at work making the dresses for the Christmas balls so they where nowhere in site.

I had left to get us some hot cocoa and maybe a couple of cookies.

While on my way I once again spotted a guard watching me closely.

As I turned the corner to head downstairs to the kitchens I ran into Sarah.

"Oh hey Annabelle" Sarah said with a snide look, "I heard about what happened with you and Percy. It's tragic really, he just seems so nice especially from what he said to me on our date just now."

She held a triumphant smirk which made me want to roll my eyes but I held back.

"Actually my name is Annabeth which I would think you would know since we have been in this competition together for a few months and I'm happy for you. Also nothing happened between the Prince and I so I would fact check your sources but thank you for the unnecessary concern. Have a good day Sarah."