Chapter 64: Cold Sweats

Jhene:

The gun slipped from my fingers with a thud to the floor. And in that moment a cold draft of wind from the open window swept over my body sending chills up and down my arms; my spine shivered and ice cold sweat dripped into my brows.

Sticky thick, gelatinous blood began to leak from his body like a faucet, leaking into the cracks of the chestnut coloured floorboards.

I'd shot him,

I'd killed him.

I'd shot and killed him.

It was like everything to me; everything I loved and adored in life in a split instant had been dragged away and taken from me. Grabbed with a mean vengeance. Every single second I shared with him in that split moment passed across my mind, all the memories we had together, every smile, every laugh, every joke, every kiss, every touch and I couldn't make the tears stop, all my regrets about what I hadn't said to him when I could've all of it, was now gone.

I scurried over to him and pushed Marlon's limp body off of him so fast I hadn't even taken a second to realise what was actually the case. That I'd pushed Marlon's limp body away. "Chris..." I choked up, he looked dead "Chris!" I cried shaking him to wake up. Nothing. "Chris come on this isn't funny please get up!" I cried even harder. "...please?"

He wouldn't move. He just lay there stagnant with a nasty wound leaking from his shoulder. I stood up to find my phone to dial 911, he needed medical assistance asap with when suddenly... I heard a groan, one of the sweetest sounds I think I'd ever been so grateful to hear in my whole life. I spun around and saw as slowly his eyes opened, it was if the Lord had answered all my prayers. Finally he'd heard my cry; I felt a huge wave of relief suddenly sweep over me; words couldn't even explain the feeling that I felt to know that he was alive and breathing.

"Chris, Chris...Oh my God I thought I'd shot you" I cried. I touched his face, trying to make sure he was still real and this wasn't just a clouded figure of my imagination. I could not breathe with the image of him lying lifeless on the floor like that haunting me.

"Nah I'm good... you good?" He asked, concern clouding his expression.

"Yeah...now I am"

"Good" he croaked out and then used his elbow to ease himself up "Ahh fuckk!" he yelped out in pain and that's when we noticed the thick blood that was leaking from his shoulder through onto his white tee where Marlon had managed to stab the knife into his shoulder

"Chris wait, be careful! "I said, and then with a struggle began to help him up off the floor. "We need to wrap this up to stop the bleeding" he winced in pain, holding his shoulder. I looked around and then picked up the knife and used it to cut a long enough piece of material off the bed sheet and then wrapped it tight around the stab wound in Chris' shoulder to seize the bleeding until we could get the proper medical treatment needed.

"We need to get you to the hospital to get it seen to"

"Nah I don't need to go to the hospital just tie it a little tighter" he instructed me.

"Chris it's bleeding too much you need to go to the hospital!"

"No man! They gonna ask too many fucking questions I ain't tryna answer right now, just wrap it tighter Jhene!" he said sounding annoyed. I ended my protest and just done what was asked and tied the wrap even tighter; Chris winced in pain once done and then grabbed the bloody knife and pushed it into his back pocket. We both then looked over as if we just realised Marlon's body was just lying on the floor. I looked at Chris and he kicked Marlon's foot "...He's not dead. It's aight" he confirmed how he could really tell that when he was laid out limp on the floor, I don't know; he sure looked lifeless to me! "Come on let's get outta here" he grabbed hold of my hand.