NINETEEN

Her body twirled around to the song playing in the background

Her body twirled around to the song playing in the background. Happy and good. Basking in the glow of the sun, lips stretched wide into a smile.

Her blonde hair bouncing along her back as she got lost in the beat.The deep shadows etched underneath her eyes were gone.

Seemingly enough. It was why people were drawn to her, the angelic glow that seemed to be reflected in her golden orbs. It didn't seem to matter that you couldn't help but be intimidated by her.

Or at least this is what Hannah considered as she basked in the streaming glow of the radiating sun and gazed happily at the dazzling girl in front of her.It was heaven.

It was odd and exciting. To be noticed. All thanks to assholes that made her feel cheap and almost worthless.

Cara made her feel good. Noticed. As if the heavens were shining down at her. Just because she did.

"This is amazing!" Hannah exclaimed, a giggle tumbling from her lips and tossed her head back; enjoying the radiant glow shining down on her porcelain skin.

Cara brought herself forward and simply laughed and bent her knees as she gazed at Hannah, a smile curving on her lips. While her arms twirled loosely in the air.

She giggled.

"You haven't seen nothing yet." A trace of a smile adorning her lips.

"Yes indeed."

Cara brought the glass back to her pink bubblegum lips and tossed it back. Letting the cool bubbles burn yet it's refreshing taste wash down her throat.

She lowered her head and vaguely saw a figure slowly come towards them. A familiar flannel bright on his shoulders and his face marred with a mix of purple and fading yellow tones.

Her gleeful smile vanished. Concern and anger bubbled in her veins.

"I'll be right back." Hannah nodded as her face was still was turned upwards into the sky. The alcohol buzzing in her veins. A smile toying on her lips .

Cara slid her legs down from the lounge chair, her black shawl hung from her shoulder and immediately rushed towards his side. Her hands cupping his cheek and brought herself onto her tippy toes.

He took a step forward, almost swaying on his feet. A dazed look in his eyes...a drunken vulnerability shining through his orbs that revealed just how young he actually was.

The blood vessels burst around his right pupil encompassing the milky white of his eye. Showing just how much of his dad's violent abuse was bestowed upon his son.

It broke her heart. Her throat turning scratchy and hard with each second of silence. Pushing down the hard swallow in her throat  to comfort him.

Even though she desperately wanted to yell and scream. But this was not about her. This was about him.

"Shh, shh, shh,shh..." she whispered soothingly and gazed upwards into his darkened eyes, as her thumbs pressed firmly against the nape of his neck. "I got you." She said against the skin of his clothed chest.

He slowly wrapped his arm around her waist and brought her closer to him, burying his face into her dark locks. Quiet sobs emitting from his throat as his tears matted with her hair.

The forced smile vanished from her face and felt her face become tight and strained to feel anything other than anger and frustration.

Only to watch helplessly as her best friend stood in front of her. With demons and rage swirling beneath the bruises and tears sliding down his cheek.

Her nails scratching lightly at the nape of his hair. To calm him. To soothe him.

"He deserves everything. He deserved more than that asshole."

"Fuck him." She hotly whispered and a slow reluctant smile wormed it's way into his face.

"Fuck him." He repeated, almost testing the words on his tongue.

"FUCK HIM!" He bellowed into the clear sky, his head craned backwards, and fingers curled around Cara's waist.

With that, Hannah jumped from her seat and followed the sound to see Monty and Cara standing a few feet away from of her.

It was obvious he had been in a fight, again. But with whom? Hannah didn't know. A mix of disgust and sympathy ran through her veins.

"Why couldn't he just act normal? Did he always have to get into a fight?"

A nasty green feeling ran through her veins the longer she watched them. His hands on the open expanse of her skin beneath the robe. Her fingers curled around his neck.

in that moment the boy in front of her was no longer recongixable to her; he looked vulnerable but at the same time his dark complexion twisted until hard lines were visible on his face. it was odd, especially in the way his gaze were softened as they glanced downwards at Cara, Hannah had thought to herself as she turned her head towards Cara.

But upon looking back at her, that opened up a whole fresh can of worms that Hannah hadn't been prepared for, or better yet didn't want to acknowledge.

Her heart had shattered inside her chest and her entire world had begun to fallen apart.

Because Cara Montenegro's eyes were also on the boy, like he was the shining star in her universe.

Despite feeling as if she was intruding on a private moment, she couldn't look away. and in the moment her veins surged with anger and sadness as her heart hardened towards the blonde.

Jealousy and hatred curling into her veins in what could be called self-destruction that Hannah wasn't ready to acknowledge just yet

The brightened illusion of the glittering gems in Cara's veins brought Hannah to feeling she never wanted to feel again.

And suddenly her lips brightened in a way Hannah had never seen before, and Hannah felt the helplessness of all of it, and it burned.

A slight laugh burst from Cara's lips and watched as his eyes now glinted with a glee at her words.

Her fingers reaching to wrap around his fingers and he walked behind her as she brought a finger to the stray tear that fell down her cheek.

"Hey Monty!"

Hannah felt her mouth twist into a smile and brought the glass to her mouth to hide the grimace she now felt deep within her bones.

"Hannah." He raised his head and smiled though it didn't quite reach his eyes.

And she hated it.

*Author's Note*

It starts to go downhill real quick after this. What do you think Hannah is going to do? Is Hannah really jealous of Cara or no?

 What do you think Hannah is going to do? Is Hannah really jealous of Cara or no?