7. twenty-four hours

Esmeralda

Seeing my family tied up like a bunch of hostiles, really set off a bomb of anger inside of me. It was an unbeatable sight and one I never wanted to see again.

Since I landed, everything seemed to be going the opposite direction. The most important detail being, I don't have the money. I don't know how it's even possible that my father has insufficient funds in the business bank account.

When I met up with the manager, she said they couldn't explain the reason as to why since she wasn't the account holder and for privacy reasons they kept their mouths shut.

Now, the last thing I expected was to show up here empty-handed after spending what seemed like an eternity, figuring out where the fuck this stupid barn house was! Did you know there's more than one?! This is Seattle people! Not the middle of nowhere.

It's been a long fucking hour of everything going wrong, I'm practically over today.

Being the brains of the family however, does have its perks. I had Adrian drive me back to the house, where I found Natalia's laptop. Natalia never leaves without her Apple Watch, it's practically her fucking baby. I'd like to thank the girl I saw in downtown Seattle, who's watch lit up while she was shaking her ass like she was having some kinda seizure in the middle of the cross walk. Yes she was wasted and yes, it was a terrible sight.

Anyways I got the idea, sped home, and looked up their locations by searching her watch in 'Find my iPhone.' Genius of Apple to include this feature on Apple Watches because if not, I don't think I'd be here, with two men down and walking right into my death.

What was the name of Hades wife? Persephone? Well declare me her because apparently I love sticking my head where it doesn't belong and just like Hades, I'm heading towards him with no hesitation while his hand is grasping onto his gun, aiming towards me.

Did I come here with a plan? Not exactly. So what was I going to do now that I was inches away from Damien? Well you can't run dumbass, my inner thoughts remind me. Thanks captain obvious.

Honestly I was terrified, more than I'd like to admit but was I going to show Damien that side of me? Absolutely not. I feel my hand beginning to shake as I get closer but I manage to steady it. My eyes are dead ass locked with Damien's stupid, beautiful cyan eyes. The control those eyes have over me is un-fucking-believable.

"Put it down Esme!" He shouts as we both freeze in front of each other. The world seemed to pause and everything else faded away.

I hear distorted voices in the distance that sound like my family, but I can't make out what they're saying. My concentration is fully on Damien, our loaded weapons, and his eyes, fiercely staring into my soul.

We glare at one another for a few seconds before I feel my voice beginning to resurface, "Shoot me Damien."

I obviously caught him by surprise when his eyes widen at my choice of words. My family is still screaming in the distance but I tune them out entirely.

"What?" He asks, as if he misheard me.

"If it's my family you want, let them go and kill me." I respond without hesitating. I slowly begin lowering my weapon, placing it on the band of my dirty white jeans.

I see his finger unlock the safety of his gun and for a split second I'm not afraid to die. I'm willing to die, right here, right now if it means my family will walk away unharmed. I close my eyes, letting reality set in, this is it. This is what it comes down to, dying in the hands of a mafia boss.