27. wildfire

Damien

The first week flies by, proving to be nothing but exhausting. I've been at meetings most of the time in the conference room. If I'm not there, I'm checking up on warehouses and businesses I have out here.

I'm not really a huge fan of coming out to Mexico because it holds a lot of memories from when I was a child, but once or twice a year, I'll take a stroll down memory lane.

Fortunately, I'm well known here. Everyone in Mexico recognizes my family and I, so it struck me when I found out someone built the courage to steal from a local warehouse.

The people I have stationed out here are trustworthy. Most of them started working when my father was still alive and in control. After his passing they remained loyal to me and the mafia.

Saul has spent countless hours sitting in the same exact spot as he tries to identify the person who was smart enough to hack into my security system and wipe away all the surveillance videos.

"Its got to be someone highly skilled like me. They blocked me from even backing up the video on the cameras. I can't even access the deleted footage. They're fucking smart jefe," he says as his eyes stay glued to the screen of many foreign codes.

"It can't be my men. None of their backgrounds consist of computer science, programming, information security or computer information. I made sure of that," I assure him, pacing around the conference room.

There are windows surrounding the entire room that go from the floor to the ceiling with a retractable door that leads you to the beach. The glass doors are open, letting the ocean breeze fill the room. Saul and I have been working hard all fucking week to catch these fuckers and so far no luck.

"Fuck. All the data is just fucking gone," Saul scowls as he punches the top of the table, leaning back in his chair. "I don't fucking get it. Not even the fucking CSI can out smart me."

Which is true. Saul is one of the best amongst the US and Mexico. I'm getting concerned now since he can't crack the code on this one.

"Do you have any idea who else it could be. Maybe it's not our men, we have to think outside the box," I tell him. "These people are smart so they have to know what the fuck they're doing."

We remain silent for a few moments, a tornado of thoughts circling through my mind. All my enemies have never been smart enough to one up me in the years I've taken over as leader. This can't be a common enemy of mine. It has to be someone new, someone fresh who suddenly made me a target.

Who the fuck have I pissed off recently?

The gears in my mind start running when something in my brain clicks. I look at Saul with rage and he backs away from me for a moment.

"Check all international fights ranging from two weeks ago till now," I order.

"Jefe, do you know how many tourists come to Mexico? There's a swamp of them flying in and out every 5 minutes," he says.

"Look up all flights going to and from Italy."

Sauls fingers move at the speed of light as he hacks into the airport system, checking all international flights between the selected time frame.

"Okay I have 50 flights. Can you give me a specific city? Maybe I can narrow it down some more."

"Bologna," I tell him as my feet move faster around the room. I swear, if it's who I fucking think—

"Nothing." Fuck.

"Try Florence."

He continues to search as I try brainstorming where else in Italy they could possibly be. How the fuck did I not think about this earlier. How the fuck was I outsmarted. Shit.