26. long story

Esmeralda

I adore window seats, especially this early in the morning. I love the scenery of the sky as the sun rises and positions itself in the center. The warm colors shine on the world beneath me, bringing everything to life.

I take my phone out of my Coach purse, sliding my lock screen to catch a picture of this view. I snap a few photos with my hand on the window. I'm not a huge social media person, and since I fled I haven't really been on it, but pictures like these make me wish I could just share it with the world.

I lean back against my seat, scrolling through my feed for the first time in years. My account has my real name plastered all over so since I left Seattle, I've never once logged on— until today.

Strangers I haven't talked to since I graduated, pop on my news feed. They look completely different. All grown up, living their lives the way they should. I click on each account, stalking their personal lives for fun. It fuels me with happiness when I see people who've gone through rough patches in life, now have everything they ever wanted. They're all married, some have kids and other have pets. Most graduated college and now advancing to pursuit the career they've studied so hard for. Nurses, business owners, criminal justice, even marine biologists. I smile like a dumbass at my phone screen, wondering when my time will come to have something as pure as this.

When I refresh the page, I come across a recent photo Amelia posted 2 days ago of herself out to brunch with her parents. I haven't spoken to her since that day at the mall, so it makes me sad when I click on her username and scroll through her profile— finding all the different pictures of us from years ago. We were inseparable and yet, I feel like we've grown apart.

I exit out of the app and open up my messages. We're high in the sky, above the clouds, but Damien's private jet has WiFi. I take advantage and send her a cute text message:

Hey, just checking in. Currently on a plane to Mexico. Long story. I hope one day I can call you and catch up. xoxo

I press the blue arrow to send it. Not even a minute later, 3 dots appear on her end notifying me that she's typing. I stare anxiously at the screen, waiting for her message to come through.

Mexico? How the hell.. WAIT ARE YOU GETTING DEPORTED???

I laugh at her reply, twiddling my thumbs as I write her back.

E: If I was getting deported I wouldn't have access to a phone silly. Like I said it's a long story. Once I figure my shit out, I'll explain.

A: Is this part of the secret life?

E: I think it's time you know the truth. I've been coming clean with some people and I could use your advice.

A: oh no. Sounds serious.

E: It is. My life is a mess. I'll text you when I get to my hotel. Love ya!

A: be safe! Love ya too!

I smile at her response as I lock my phone and shift my gaze back to the other end of the glass window. I lean my head against the edge, closing my eyes.

I never answered Cami's question because truth is, I didn't know what I feel for Damien. I don't think I necessarily love him, but I do feel something I can't exactly pinpoint. Maybe I have a tiny crush on him but that's all it'll be.

At least I hope.

My eyes move from the window to Hades. He's wearing his usual grey sweats with a white Gucci shirt and shoes. He looks better than the view outside my window.