10. goodbye

Esmeralda

I'm speechless. Literally fucking speechless. I was NOT expecting this at all. Maybe a cardboard sign, covered in sloppy black lettering that said 'Be my fucking wife and get this over with', but definitely not this.

I know I should say yes and I'm dying to because he really went all out, but this isn't a real proposal. It's one I told him to do as a joke because I thought he was kidding when he offered me that marriage contract.

I've been staring at the emerald ring since he opened the black velvet box. I don't know if I'm taken back more by the millions he spent on it or the scenery of the proposal.

"Okay." I answer.

"Okay?" He questions.

"Damien, it's the closest answer you're getting to the 'y word'" I joke.

"Fair enough." He takes the ring out of the slot and places it on the fourth finger that's on my left hand. He hands me the bouquet of roses he's been holding for a while, the rosy scent filling my nose.

Aiden walks over to us, holding up a disposable camera, "your mother requested photos with this thing. She insisted that you guys might want to look back on this. I've taken photos of everything she asked besides you two, so please pose before she comes for my head."

Damien and I laugh before we pose for the camera. His arm slides around my waist, pulling me closer. My cheeks heat up at the contact of his touch against my lower half. The way my body is reacting to the feeling of having his arm around me is pretty fucking dangerous.

I hug his torso with the bouquet in my hand, grasping his left side, and placing my left hand on his chest so the ring is in the spotlight. I lean closer, positioning my head on his shoulder, and put on a fake smile for the camera.

Aiden takes the picture and then tells us to get into a different position. "Lift her up bridal style." He says, keeping his eyes in the peephole of the camera.

"Really Aiden. This is suppose to be a fake marriage." Damien frowns.

"Did you tell your mother that?" Aiden questions.

"No. Fuck. You know I can't." He admits. His arm unlatches from my waist and goes straight for my legs. He lifts me up without a struggle, as if I'm as light as a feather. Going along with the skit, I wrap my arms around Damien's neck for support.

"You guys look like you hate each other." He chuckles and I give him the dirtiest look possible.

"This is a fake marriage smartass." I snap, "that means our feelings for one another are also fake."

"Well, at least look like you love one another. I'm not going to get yelled at because you guys look like you're dying."

"Aiden, shut up before I make Julio take you out. Just take the picture and get it over with." Damien lifts me higher, turning his head to face me. My eyes immediately lock with his and for a moment, I forget where we are and what we're doing.

I look deeply, passionately, and curiously into his cyan eyes. I don't know how much more hypnotizing they can get. Up close and personal, I can see the green fade into the blue giving it that unique color. I'm so lost looking into them, I don't even hear Aiden call my name multiple times.

"Esmeralda!" He shouts, breaking me out of my hypnosis.

"What?" I say, my eyes never leaving Damien's.

"Can you smile and not look like you're in Wonderland?" He jokes.

I snap away from Damien and glare at Aiden. "Watch yourself. Once I sign that contract, I'll be Damien's wife, which means I can have anyone take you out as well." I smirk. He finally shuts up and we do as we're told. Going back into position I put on another fake smile and Aiden snaps the picture.