11. breathe

Esmeralda

The vein popping on Blanca's forehead is disgusting. Her fists are clenched against her side so hard, they're turning white. I can practically see the fucking smoke coming out of her ears.

"WIFE? The fuck do you mean wife Damien?" She screams. She tries pushing against the bodyguard at the bottom of the steps, screaming and cursing at Damien.

As much as I enjoy this, I wanna go home and fucking sleep. I have no time for ex-fling drama. Damien's on his own with this one.

I let go of his hand, pushing past him as I make my way down the stairs. The guards are holding Blanca back, but she somehow manages to break free and comes charging towards me. Damien scurries down the steps but Blanca lands a hard blow against my cheek.

Bitch you just unleashed hell.

I react quickly, hitting her back and grab the gun from the guard's waistband. He's busy trying to hold her back, that he doesn't even notice my swift movement. He locks her arms behind her back and I don't hesitate to point the gun to her head. "Next time you touch me, I won't think twice about ending your miserable life. Got it?" I look up at the guard, a blank, emotionless expression on his face. Almost like he's dead inside. "Get her the fuck outta here before I change my mind."

Obeying my orders, the guard throws her over his shoulder, carrying an angry Blanca off the runway. Damien is standing a few feet behind me, a proud smile painted on his lips. I roll my eyes, handing him the gun. "Let's get the fuck outta here. I'm tired and I've had enough drama for one fucking day."

I walk towards the SUV, two guards accompany me on each side. Damien is walking with his mother behind me, gloating about what I pulled off.

I'm not really violent like this, but my past shaped me into the person I am today. I learned, I grew, and I did everything to feel alive again. I couldn't live in fear if I wanted to start over, so I did everything possible to make sure that fear disappeared along the years.

Besides changing my identity, I became a whole new person. Old Esmeralda died so Rose could blossom.

New me is dangerous. I like this version better. The version that's prepared for the worst. The one who loves a good fucking challenge, whether it's life or death, and I just proved that by marrying the fucking mob boss.

The guard to my right opens the door, offering me his hand to step up into the vehicle. Damien and Evelina follow behind, stepping into the car as well. I lean against the window, drifting away gradually.

I'm back in Santa Monica. Back to living my new life with a few adjustments. I didn't think I'd be back this soon but I'm happy I am. Seattle was just depressing. It brought me misery and resemblance. Misery of learning the family burden and resemblance of why I left in the first place. I've come to hate that city even more than I ever thought I could. It's hell for me. If I could, I'd burn the whole city down along with everything that's happened. Man, when did I flip the switch to dark mode.

I doze off in the car. The last thing I envision is me, lighting up Sin City into burning ashes.

~~~~

When I wake up, the first sound the fills my ears is loud snoring. I'm laying flat on my stomach as usual with drool all over my pillow. What the fuck do I keep dreaming of that makes me get saliva all over myself.

The room is dark but I can see some of the sunlight that made its way around the black curtains. I try turning to lay on my back but there's an arm wrapped around me.  Laying completely still, I turn my head and see Damien, inches away from my fucking face. His hot breath is blowing against my shoulder, even his messy hair looks beautiful. He looks so peaceful and harmless when he sleeps.