Act II, Scene III

Scene III

(In a classroom. Several desks sit in rows profile to the audience filled by several Students. Mrs. Thorns is standing in front of them, pointer in hand. Susan sits in the back of the classroom, with Helga on one side of her and Daphne on the other. Their desks should be staggered to see every face. Daphne is sketching in her book.)

Mrs. Thorns: Edgar Allan Poe, known as the father of horror, was also known for many other genres,such as mystery and romance. (Growing quieter, as if her lecture is background noise for the next few lines.) He was even the inspiration for Arthur Conan Doyle, author of Sherlock Holmes. He also wrote several poems dedicated to the memory of his dead wife, known in his poems as Lenore. Poe was also terrified of getting buried alive, because at the time, many people were getting buried alive because of the disease tuberculosis. This disease makes your breath very faint, so someone could assume you are dead when you were only sleeping. This fear is expressed in several of Poe's pieces.

Helga: (Throws a piece of paper to get Susan's attention. Susan turns in her direction as Helga points at Daphne, who is still sketching.) That's her.

Susan: Wow. She's pretty, but look at what she does with her pictures. She's sketching a picture of Gregory right now. How creepy is that? Though I have to admit she's very talented. (Leans forward towards Daphne.) Hey, that looks really cool! Is that supposed to be Gregory Smith?

Daphne: Why are you talking to me?

Susan: I just looked over and happened to see that amazing drawing. You are really talented.(Holds out her hand.) I'm Susan. Susan Collins.

Daphne: (Stares a while at the hand, then goes back to drawing.) Daphne Peterson.

Helga: And I am Helga Jackson. We met earlier today.

Daphne: Ah,yes. I remember. You're the one who made me almost lose my subject by asking me unnecessary questions. (Beat. Spoken sarcastically.) Pleasure.

Susan: (To Helga.) She's so rude! And she called Gregory her subject! How horrible is that?

Helga: Yeah.. Maybe I was wrong. You can get her back after being nice to her a bit longer.

Susan: How much longer?

Helga: Just give it a few days.

Susan: (Jumps up, shouting) A FEW DAYS?! We don't have that kind of time! (Class, including Mrs. Thorns stares at Susan.)

Mrs. Thorns: Ms. Collins, I'm sure the rest of the class would love to know what is so important that you'd have to interrupt my lesson.

Daphne: (Going back to drawing as she mutters:) Moron..

Susan: Just.. talking about the Edgar Allan Poe project. Gotta start right away, or we may not be able to finish in time! (Gives an obviously fake grin and sits back down. Beat.)

Mrs. Thorns: ..I didn't even mention the project yet.. But yes, (Again, going quieter as background noise.) You will have two weeks to finish the project. A presentation of any Poe piece of your choice. You must work in groups of three. Not two, and not four, but three. Now, to be sure no one picks the same piece as any other group, I will write the poems on the board along with group names. (As the girls' conversation continues, Students raise their hands, called on by Mrs. Thorns, and random choices are written on the board as the choices are repeated by her.)

Susan: So, Daphne, how did you become so good at drawing?

Helga: And photography?

Daphne: Go away please.

Susan: Oh come on, a simple one-worded answer would suffice. Not looking for an elaborate answer.

Daphne: (Sighs in defeat.) Hereditary.

Susan: Oh so your parents take pictures and draw?

Daphne: I think so.

Helga: Did you learn from them?

Daphne: Not exactly

Susan: Have you seen them do it?

Daphne: No. Only seen their work...

Susan: Ever talk to them about it?

Daphne: No. I never got a chance to..

Helga: Don't you live with them?

Daphne: No.

Susan: Wait, you don't live with your parents?

Helga: Where do they live?

Susan: Who do you live with then?

Helga: Don't they ever come to visit?

Susan: What kind of parents would-

Daphne: (Shouting loudly,almost in tears.) MY PARENTS ARE DEAD! ( The Class again looks towards the girls.)

Mrs. Thorns: Well, since you chatty catties are being so eccentric at the moment, you three will partner up for the Edgar Allan Poe project. Oh who am I kidding? You'll probably blow it off again and think of something last minute

Susan: Perfect! We'll do The Tell-Tale Heart! (To the other two girls.) That's my favorite Poe piece!

Helga: Of course the short story of the insane murderer would be your favorite piece..

Susan: (To Daphne.) Looks like we'll be getting to know each other the next couple weeks. (Daphne rolls her eyes and goes back to drawing. Blackout.)