Act III, Scene II

Scene II

(Lights up on the track at school. Stephanie jogs in with Greg following close. He is wearing all grey, representing his slow transition of moving on from the death of Melanie. Though he is not far behind he is panting wildly. He begins speaking, almost completely out of breath as the two jog in place.)

Greg: Sydney... I'm scared...

Stephanie: (Speaking normally.) You don't need to be. I will make sure to keep you safe.

Greg: But it's not your place! And it's not me that I'm worried about. Many have left and I don't want you hurt like the others.

Stephanie: (Stops, followed by Greg.) I'm stronger than them; I'm smarter. I won't let this happen to me.

Greg: But what if-

Stephanie: (Places a finger on his lips.) I understand you are worried, but I won't let my feelings be thrown away like garbage because the love of my life is sacred. Nothing will happen, and I'll remain by your side for as long as my heart beats.. (Beat.) That was great. Thank you so much for rehearsing with me, Greg.

Greg: No problem, Stephanie! But next time, can we not do it during track practice?

Stephanie: I'll see what I can do. I'm sorry my schedule got mixed up. I'm just a busy person.

Greg: No kidding! Cheer captain, on every varsity sports team, student body president, valac victorian, and the lead in the school play... I can't believe you can do all that.. You.. You fascinate me.

Stephanie: Likewise. You pique my interest as well, Gregory. I admire how you are pulling through with the deaths that have recently occurred in the class. (At the mention of her successful work, Susan peeks out, smiling and dreamily staring at Greg.)

Greg: Deaths? As in plural?

Stephanie: Did you not hear? Daphne Peterson has gone missing, as if vanished in thin air. No one knows where she went and no one has seen her. The police never found her so we all have to assume she's dead.

Greg: That's terrible! But who is Daphne Peterson?

Stephanie: You didn't know her? I assumed you were close considering she followed you and had pictures, sketches, and paintings of you.. She had a lot of everyone in school but she was always following you.

Greg: I never noticed. I can't stand girls that stalk. They're so creepy. I'd never be with a girl like that. (Susan opens her mouth in disbelief. Greg begins to leave in the direction of Susan, who hides. Beat. He stops for a second and turns to Stephanie.) You know, there was a random painting I found in my locker with me and some girl in the yearbook room.

Stephanie: It may have been her. She was in yearbook, and if she wasn't so stalker-ish she would have been quite beautiful.

Greg: Well I'm sorry for the school's sake. If you need any help because of this I am more than happy to help.

Stephanie: I appreciate it. (Beat.) You know, Daphne was an alternate in the school play. I could talk to the director and see if she'll let you.

Greg: Really? Who is the director this year?

Stephanie: Mrs. Thorns. She's the best.

Greg: Definitely! I'll talk to her tomorrow during lunch. Have fun at rehearsals tonight, Stephanie!

Stephanie: Thanks! Be safe on the way home! (She jogs off and exits. Greg also exits but on the other side of the stage. When they are gone Susan emerges from her hiding spot.)

Susan: He wouldn't be with a girl that stalked him? What if this girl would not just stalk you, but follow you endlessly and worship the very ground you walked only because she loved everything about you? What if she would obey every command you gave her? I need to be near you, as if an invisible magnet is pulling me toward you. I feel it even now, yet you ignore it. Why? Please tell me Gregory! (She falls to her knees and sighs.) I just want to be your one and only, and now Miss Perfect has gotten in the way of it. It should be me that you are so wanting to be around and help, yet you barely acknowledge my existence. I just want... I just need to be close to you. (Helga quickly enters, is about to speak but notices her best friend is having a moment. She waits for her to finish.) I've already had to finish off a woman that mothered you every moment she could, (Melanie enters and stands behind her. She is pale and death-like now. Dressed in a fancy dress, as if she was buried in it.) And I had to get rid of an extreme one of my own. (Daphne enters, in a similar death-like state of Melanie, but in the clothes she was murdered in.) I have no problem adding another voice in the collection of the ghost haunting me. (The ghosts begin to slowly circle around Susan.) It will all be worth it in the end when Gregory becomes mine. When it happens you will all leave me. (To ghosts.) You hear that, you damn spirits? I will soon be rid of all of you! (Susan begins laughing as Helga has had enough of this and crosses to her. She is right in front of the ghost of Daphne and completely ignores her.)

Helga: Um, Susan? Are you alright?

Susan: Of course not! Don't you see them?

Helga: I don't see anyone. (The ghosts slowly exit as Susan snaps back to reality.) What are you talking about?

Susan: You didn't see..? N-nothing. It's nothing. What's up?

Helga: I just saw Greg and Stephanie Flores on the track and heard-

Susan: -that she wants him to talk to Mrs. Thorns about getting involved in the school play as an alternate. I know.

Helga: How did you know?

Susan: The very reason he will never love me on his own. How did you find out?

Helga: I have info on everyone at school. It's a very interesting skill. By the way, Kyle Williams is about to have a skateboarding accident. (A loud crash is heard offstage, and Susan looks over at Helga in disbelief.) It's a gift. Anyway, let's get you to Mrs. Thorns's class.

Susan: Mrs Thorns? What for?

Helga: We are signing you up for the school play as a techie. Surely you can do something with the tools in there to get rid of her.

Susan: Really?

Helga: Susan, you know I don't think what you are doing is right, but I want to make you happy. And if getting Greg at any cost will make you happy, then I will help you do whatever it takes to get rid of her.

Susan: Helga.. Thank you so much.

Helga: You can thank me at your wedding. Right now let's just get this over with.. I'm starting to get really worried about you. (They both exit, arms linked together. Blackout.)