Act II, Scene V

Scene V

(A few days have past and Daphne, Susan and Helga are in the hall. On one end of the stage a door to an abandoned classroom sits. The girls are all walking down together, laughing.)

Daphne: So after he spotted me and attacked me with a can of silly string in his bag, he didn't see where he was going, and Michael Trench fell into a nearby trash can! And that is the true story of how Michael Trench became Michael Stench for the rest of freshman year. (All three girls laugh wildly.)

Helga: So he never went dumpster diving to save a kitten?

Susan: I knew that story was bogus the minute he said it. How many people believed he would be nice enough to risk his designer shoes and Letterman jacket for a kitten?

Daphne: I don't know, but it annoyed me that I couldn't tell anyone the truth. (Beat.) You know, Before that Poe project I just thought you girls were annoying nosy people that would be good in the yearbook club. But now I'm so glad I have you two when I need to let things out. I am so lucky to have you guys.

Susan: (Places a hand on Daphne's shoulder) And we will always be here for you. No matter what.

Helga: Always. (Beat.)

Susan: Oh, before I forget... (Leads Daphne towards the classroom) We set up a little surprise here for you.

Daphne: (Slowly walks into the abandoned classroom) You did? (Susan quickly closes the door and pulls a thick piece of cloth, such as a towel, out of her backpack. She tucks it in the crack between the door and the floor. She then locks the door.) Wow! A new camera set! You guys are so sweet!

Susan: (Pulls out a light bulb from her bag and gives it to Helga.) Quick! Go out to the window and throw in this! Make sure it breaks and don't forget to close the window good. (Helga nods and runs out.) I can't believe I thought of this!I am a genius! (Glass breaking is soon heard.) She did it! Now we just have to wait.. (Helga runs in.)

Helga: Man, that reeked! What was in that?

Susan: That light bulb was a compact fluorescent. When broken it releases a toxic gas that kills in a matter of minutes. (Frantic knocking is heard from the classroom door.)

Daphne: (Offstage.) Susan! Helga! Something broke in here and it smells bad! It may be toxic and the door is busted!

Susan: (Turns the handle of the locked door gently) I'm sorry, Daphne. It won't budge. I guess you should have thought of that..

Daphne: (Offstage.) What are you talking about?

Susan: Sisters before misters Daphne! You tried taking Gregory Smith away from me! It was bad enough you were stalking him, but Helga and I saw you slip the paintings of the two of you in his locker. You were trying to take Gregory from me! He is mine and your constant stalking is now going to kill you! (The knocking and banging on the door become more intense, with screams of Daphne being heard. Eventually, the knocking and screaming become weaker and softer, until there is silence for a moment. Daphne is now dead.)

Helga: Wow. That was a lot faster than I thought it would be.

Susan: She wasted her last bit of her life fighting a battle that she couldn't win. It was very foolish. Now come on, help me get rid of her. (The girls hold their breath and open the door. They go in and drag Daphne's body out.)

Helga: Where are we going to put her?

Susan: Cafeteria kitchen. She will be the surprise in Mrs. Vinnie's meatloaf surprise.

(They drag the body offstage. Blackout.)

End of Act II