Act V, Scene I

Act V: Final Act

Scene I

(Unlike other beginnings of acts, this one is back in the park. However the atmosphere is different. A darker ambiance is present, and Greg is alone on stage. He is pacing with a knife in his hand. The work of his secret lover has made him somewhat insane.)

Greg: The true decision isn't hard, I either do it or I don't do it. It'd stop the deaths.. Then again it'd also stop my heart. And what if Vix wasn't right? What if the pain only increases in death? Like she said, no one really knows what's gonna happen.. I need to stop these deaths. It's more than just a coincidence after four girls. I'm either not supposed to love or that I'm bad luck.. I have to do something... (He raises the knife. Before he does anything a voice is heard offstage.)

Susan: (Offstage.) Don't you dare Gregory Smith! It's not your fault these girls suffered. (She enters, clothes slightly tattered. She is twitching uncontrollably. Ghosts enter in front of her, slowly, as if bridesmaids at a wedding. They walk until they are behind Greg and Susan is only a few feet in front of him. ) ...It's mine. Heh heh.. It was all for you though, Gregory. I only did it so our love would grow and flourish. I did it because I wanted to be the only one in your life. I know it was maybe a little eccentric, but I just wanted you to feel as I do: that no one else but the one I love exists. Nothing matters except for the love we have for each other.. (Slowly walks towards Greg.) You don't need to pretend anymore. The Fates are slowly drawing you towards me too. I know it.

Greg: ..Susan? You are responsible for all of this?

Susan: Of course. Who else do you think has been following you and killing off her competition?

Greg: But.. Why? Why would you go through all the trouble?

Susan: Greg.. You are perfect and I'm.. not at all perfect. I mean I killed all these girls for a man who barely knew I existed, there's nothing perfect about me. But I..I love you. Everything about you is absolutely immaculate. If I wasn't worthy enough to be with someone like you then.. I don't think anyone is worthy. I just knew it had to be me who would live happily ever after with you.. And I.. I really wanted you. (Greg stands there, shocked and speechless for some time.) Greg... Please.. Say something.. I've done so much for you. Too much for you to not say anything now..Please... Please.. (No matter what she says Greg remains silent. Susan begins to grow angrier and angrier as she begins to rise.) TALK TO ME, DAMMIT!! (Susan raises her hand as if to strike Greg, but at that moment Helga rushes in and stands between Susan and Greg.)

Helga: Susan! Stop this madness! Can't you see you're hurting the one you love?!

Susan: Get out of my way, Helga..

Helga: I'm starting to think that you don't even love him!

Susan: SHUT UP!

Helga: You can't force love! You aren't supposed to inflict violence to people you love! And if you truly love him you'd be happy with whatever choice he makes in life! (Fuming, Susan slowly lowers herself and comes dangerously close to Helga's face.)

Susan: What could you possibly know about love?

Helga: More than you would know. I feel it every day. I just take different actions than you. Though the one I love holds close to my heart, they have other interests and I have to take the pain of watching them around others. I can't do anything because I want them to be happy!

Susan: You...?

Helga: Yes.. And it's okay. I don't expect any expressed feelings.

Susan: (Angrily.) You... you are trying to take him away too?! My own best friend?! (She grabs Helga by the throat.) I thought you wanted me to succeed, and yet you want the love of my life.. And you hurt him just as much by getting the information and being so loyal.. (She squeezes tighter.) surely your sudden innocence won't win him over that easily!

Helga: (With the last strength in her.) It's not Greg I'm in love with!

Susan: What? (She drops Helga, who falls, weak.)

Helga: I don't love Greg... I love you, Susan. I've loved you ever since we became friends. You are so beautiful and passionate and it made me fall for you very easy..I-I loved it.. And even though this will be our final moments together and this is not the most ideal time for me to tell you my true feelings, I'm glad I know that you are aware.. I love you, Susan, and I always will.. (Helga peacefully dies. Susan falls to her knees and holds Helga's body.)

Susan: Helga... What have I done? I wish she told me sooner.. Then I could've.. Greg.. This must be how you feel.. But I did this to so many people you cared about. You must feel... Oh my gosh! (She breaks down crying as Greg walks up to her, knife in hand.) I can hear you Gregory... (She lets go of Helga and sits on her knees.) You can kill me if you want.. But I'd like to know that all my work wasn't wasted. Could you just, even if it isn't true, tell me that you love me?

Greg: (Shaking his head.) I'm sorry, Susan... I can't.. You've hurt me too much to ever accept your love. (Susan, still on her knees, turns herself away from the audience, as Greg slits her throat and she falls over dead. Ghosts exit) I'm sorry... I hope you aren't suffering anymore. I hope that somehow you find peace in your afterlife. (He exits and after a pause screams soon after. A boy enters not long after the blood-curdling scream. He is covered in blood with a knife in one hand and a love letter in another.)

Boy: (Reading from the letter, speaking very passionately.) Susan, Your beauty entrances me. I become hypnotized when my eyes lock with the shimmering orbs you possess. The desire to see them increases more and more as I see them. I become addicted to that vision, bringing myself to be in complete bliss. I want you to know that no matter how long our lives allow us to walk this earth, I will always- (He looks at the body of Susan and falls to his knees.) ...This is what happens when you listen to a stranger's voice. You strayed, and now we will never be together. But it doesn't matter (Places the note on her.) I will always love you.. (He gets up and slowly exits. Blackout. Curtain.)

End of Play