Act IV, Scene V

Scene V

(Back in the park. Susan is reading manga as if nothing has changed from earlier as a panting Helga runs in. She stops to catch her breath and is unnoticed by Susan.)

Helga: (Still trying to catch her breath.) W-where have y-you been? I've been looking everywhere f-for you!

Susan: (Plainly.) Well, I've been here. Come sit. (Helga does so. Susan looks up from the manga and notices the book.) Why do you have my demon summoning book?

Helga: I was trying to stop you from letting that demon in Vix. She's not a witch and you could just tell her to lay off. And I mean, you have some great qualities about you that Greg would love. So please do not summon that demon into her. She has the rest of her life to find someone new. I'm positive this is puppy love.. (Susan closes the manga and gives Helga an almost apologetic smirk.) You already did it, didn't you?

Susan: (Shrugs her shoulders.) Sorry. Should have found me sooner. (Goes back to her manga as Helga groans and buries her face in her hands.)

Helga: I'm such a failure! How could I have been so slow? I was running all around town for you and I still was too late! Ugh! (At this moment Greg enters, holding hands with a laughing Vix.)

Vix: Hahahaha! Greg, the play we read today, it was great! H-he ended up seeing Juliet passed out in the tomb, th-thinking she was dead, and he ended up taking his life for this sleeping girl! Ha, what a sight to wake up to!

Greg: That's horrible, Vix!

Vix: But it gets better! The girl sees this and doesn't think for two minutes, and hopes poison is still on his lips, so she kisses her hopefully final kiss, but of course it doesn't work, so she thinks the way to end it all and be with Romeo is to stab herself! Haha! I guess Juliet was a few crayons short of a complete box!

Greg: That's... really not cool, Vix

Vix: Ah, who cares? They never existed anyway.

Greg: That still doesn't make it right. Why would you be laughing at something like that?

Vix: (Skipping around and speaking in a sing song voice like a child.) Romeo and Juliet lying in a tomb, D-E-A-D, their souls are doomed! HAHAHAHAHAHA! That's just too much! I'm so clever! Hee hee! (She skips around Greg in a circle.) Are you going to kill yourself if you ever see me dead in a tomb?

Greg: (Very uncomfortably.) Vix, you're starting to creep me out... (A frown immediately comes across her face.)

Vix: I thought you loved me..

Greg: (Defensively.) I do love you!

VIx: but.. You wouldn't want to be dead in a tomb with the one you love? You'd be able to live if I died?

Greg: Th-that's not what I said!

Vix: Of course you wouldn't care. I'm just like every other girl..Three deaths of women that loved you and you're still here breathing. Why would I be different?

Greg: Vix, you can't expect me to kill myself over someone else dying!

Vix: Shh! Stop talking. Satan's whispering the tempting commands into my obedient ear. He warned me that this would happen. I could kill you. Haha! And that would make the voices cease. (Susan immediately looks up in anger.) But a simpler solution can be made.. It'll get rid of the pestering voice and you and I will both finally be at peace!

Greg: Vix.. Are you going to..?

Vix: Shut up you mortal! Soon I'll go in my rightful place! My royal triumph is close at hand! (She runs off with Greg following her, begging her to reconsider.)

Greg: (Offstage.) Wait, Vix! What are you...? Get off that roof! (Susan leans towards the voices in anticipation. Helga looks disapprovingly at Susan.)

Vix: (Offstage.) Hahahahahaha! With pleasure!

Greg: (Offstage.) Wait, that's not what I-

Vix: (Offstage.) "And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor,

Shall be lifted- Nevermore!" (A large smack is heard offstage, along with Greg screaming.)

Greg: Vix! Why did you.. Oh my God! She's not breathing! I gotta get help! (He runs across the stage and exits on the other side.)

Helga: (Turns her back to her friend. She is unable to look at her.)Susan, I can't believe you. I never thought you could ever sink to this kind of horrific act. You're okay with seeing the one you love in this much distress? If you loved him you'd want him happy no matter what! I can't stand seeing him like this and you shouldn't either! You're a ... a monster! (She gasps, and realizing what she said runs off. Susan begins rising again, laughing quietly.)

Susan: Heh heh, welcome back, dear friend. We are so close.. So very close.. (She begins to laugh maniacally. Blackout.)

End of Act IV