Act III, Scene IV

Scene IV

(Rehearsal. All Student extras, Greg and Stephanie are spread across the bare stage gossiping, rehearsing lines, talking about costumes, etc. Susan, however, sits on the lip of the stage, In the middle of all the conversations. As she speaks, the other conversations quiet or are muted, with the same actions continuing.)

Susan: He's here, and She's here. They are both drawn to each other by the mere fascination of the other. The love story seems so perfect. It's only a matter of time before these conversations are a little less about the daily lives of these two, and a little more about their love and adoration of each other. And I, being the love struck girl that I am, must put a stop to it before this happens. (Mrs. Thorns walks toward Susan with a student.)

Mrs. Thorns: Susan, I found a place for you. You will be with Alex above the stage. We have some parts of the play that involve snow, rain, confetti, and things like that. So you will be responsible for helping Alex with it. Good luck. (She exits.)

Susan: So we are going to be dropping things from above the stage?

Student (Alex): Yep. Mrs. Thorns usually gives that responsibility to experienced, responsible techies so you should be honored. I'm not sure why but she really wanted you to be a part of this play.

Susan: Well I did notice that she was surprised I didn't want to act and she wanted to find a place for me in the cast. Something about my Edgar Allan Poe presentation.

Student (Alex): Well whatever the reason she found something in you, so welcome to the crew of Roses in Winter. It's an original play by Mrs. Thorn's niece.

Susan: Well I'm excited to be a part of it.

Student (Alex): Well come on, I'll show you what we are doing. (They exit, and talk offstage as if they are above the actors.) We are going to take these stairs up and will be directly above the stage.

Susan: (Offstage. Slightly panting.) There's a lot of stairs. How far are we going?

Student (Alex); (Offstage.) Not far, but you'll get used to this in time. (Beat.) Okay, so the first couple scenes we will watch from up here, but as soon as the bullies stop harassing Sydney, played by Stephanie, we are going to drop this fake snow.

Susan: (Offstage.) Like this? (A box of fake snow drops and almost hits Stephanie.)

Stephanie: Hey! Alex, control your partner!

Student (Alex): (Offstage.) Sorry! Okay, that was a good try. But try letting a little out and not the whole box. Also, Stephanie isn't a bomb target. Don't throw it directly down on her.

Susan: (Offstage.) Oh. Sorry. (Louder.) Sorry, Stephanie! Still learning!

Stephanie: (Bitterly behind a fake smile.) No problem. Just be careful.

Student (Alex): (Offstage.) Alright, another thing is letting down these sandbags to rise and lower set pieces. Some have pulleys, but others we have to drop by hand, and we need to lower them down slowly so they don't hit any actors. For example, this giant rose will be let down during a silhouetted kiss scene at the end, and this sandbag needs to be slowly dropped or it will hit Stephanie. And these are really heavy, heavy enough to cause serious damage to her. Because of that I'm going to worry about it.

Susan: (Offstage.) I understand.

Student (Alex): (Offstage.) Hopefully this show won't be a complete disaster.. (Blackout.)