Act III, Scene III

Scene III

(Back in Mrs. Thorns's classroom. Mrs. Thorns is writing and talking to herself.)

Mrs. Thorns: These presentations were incredibly plain. The one that surprisingly caught my attention was the Tell-Tale Heart group. Those three girls were maybe good eggs after all. Susan in particular had a lot of emotion and passion in her part. Maybe she'd be a good fit for- (Susan and Helga enter, and Mrs. Thorns quickly turns over the papers.) Hello, girls! What can I do for you?

Susan: Mrs. Thorns, I was wondering if you needed any help with the school play?

Mrs. Thorns: Well unfortunately all the acting roles are filled, but I could find a place if you really wanted to be involved. I was just saying to myself that there was something about your presentation that made me want you in-

Susan: (Cutting her off.) That's a nice thought, Mrs. Thorns, but I was thinking more along the lines of technical theater.

Mrs. Thorns: Well, most of those are also full... But I could definitely make you a runner. You'd do everything the other techies do but you'd help everyone instead of staying in one area. Does that sound like something you'd be interested in?

Susan: That sounds perfect! Thank you very much, Mrs. Thorns! (She quickly shakes Mrs. Thorns's hand and exits, leaving Helga now alone with the teacher.)

Helga: Thank you, Mrs. Thorns. This was very important to her. (Lying.) Not sure why in all honesty. She must have a secret love for theater.

Mrs. Thorns: (Jumps out of her seat in excitement and walks towards Helga.) I thought so, after hearing the passion in her voice while reciting the Tell-Tale Heart. It was as if she felt the passion of loving someone, and killing for the greater good. She sounded like she has really experienced insanity!

Helga: Well I don't know about that, but in the time I've known her she's always been passionate. She loves poetry and even writes some herself. (She pulls a journal out of her backpack.) Many of them are spoken poems that she asks me to write down, so I can tell you how much passion she has for things.

Mrs. Thorns: Really? Do you think she'd mind if I heard one?

Helga: Probably not, depending on the content. (Flipping through her journal as Susan slowly enters upstage from this conversation.) Ah, here's one:

"Torment me no more,

thine eyes of wonder, thine orbs that pierce my soul,

Cast out of my life,

Thy hypnotic voice, thine melting smile"

(Susan then takes over speaking the poem, passion flowing from her words.)

Susan: "Away with the hairs that beckon my hands to entangle within

Cast out the persuasive lips, that yearn to be kissed by me

Send away your muscular arms I wish to cradle in

With the temptations floating in my mind I cannot think

With his cursed mind painted within me I cannot sleep

And with his charming looks sending me in awe I cannot speak

Send these teasing beauties away from me

Bring back to me the life I had before this complicated feeling within me

Let these torturous pangs of desire from arrows that Cupid hath hit me with finally cease."

(She exits.)

Mrs Thorns: (Standing with her mouth open, completely flabbergasted.) That is extraordinary! And Susan wrote that? (Helga nods, and Mrs. Thorns looks around, then leans in.) Can you tell me who it is about?

Helga: I'm afraid that's confidential, Ma'am. I hope you understand.

Mrs. Thorns: Of course I do, Helga. And I wish her luck with this mystery lover of hers.

Helga: I'm sure she'll need it. (She turns and is about to leave until-)

Mrs. Thorns: What about you, Helga? Do you write poetry? Maybe about a mystery lover? I'm sorry if I'm intruding. I'm just a sucker for romance!

Helga: Oh, not a problem at all.There is... someone I care about. However I know that they could never be mine. They have other interests in life, and better people that could give them a life I simply cannot provide. And as poetry goes, my words could not give justice to the marvelous one that's made me fall. They are far too precious for any words to compare to their immaculateness.

Mrs. Thorns: Well, that's beautiful, Helga. I think if you wrote something like that for someone that special they would surely love you in return. Good luck and have an amazing evening.

Helga: Yes Ma'am. Thank you Ma'am. You as well (She exits. Blackout.)