Act II, Scene IV

Scene IV

(Susan's bedroom. Daphne is sitting on the bed, alone, with a notebook in hand. She is impatiently waiting for the other girls, tapping her foot, drumming on the notebook, etc.)

Daphne: Anime, huh? This girl is a weeaboo. I am not surprised. Anyhow, I wish they didn't get me into this. I'm wasting precious time...(Susan and Helga enter, Helga carrying notebooks and writing utensils, and Susan holding a big book.)

Susan: We should feel lucky my mom really likes Edgar Allen Poe! She has all his writings! (They toss the material on the bed by Daphne.) Daphne, do you read Poe?

Daphne: it's really not my kind of literature. Too morbid for my taste.

Susan: Really? Well in that case why don't we start off with you telling us what kind of books you are into?

Daphne: Look, I don't know why you have a sudden interest in me. But I am not looking for friends. Thanks to your pestering me in class I got stuck in this group that I didn't want to be a part of in the first place. So let's just start this stupid project so we can get it over with! (She throws her sketchbook onto the bed and a folded paper falls out. Before it can be retrieved by the owner Susan picks it up and unfolds it.) Wait, Don't! I can explain!

Susan: Is this...Midori?

Helga: It definitely looks like her. You like Kawaii Kawaii Bloodbath too?

Daphne: No! It's not a big deal.The art was just really interesting, okay?

Susan: But... this picture's specific original origin isn't from the anime, nor is it from the original manga. Last summer to get true fans hyped up for Kawaii Kawaii Bloodbath the artist Harumi Saito sent a small quiz to the internet to see who was the most familiar with the series. People with a perfect score received a special issue as a prize with all kinds of cut-out exclusive bits and short chibi style comics. And this, my friends, is a picture from that manga. (Points at Daphne.) You, my friend, must be a major fan!

Daphne: We aren't friends

Helga: Wow,Susan! How did you know all that?

Susan: Elementary, Miss Jackson. I simply put the pieces together. (She walks to her desk and pulls out a book from the drawer.) Plus I won a copy too.

Daphne: Dammit! It was supposed to stay a secret! Of course I would get in a group with a couple of weebs who would be able to deduct my drawings!

Helga: Daphne, it isn't a big deal. We all love anime. You're in a safe space and we won't tell anyone.

Daphne: No, you don't understand. I got that manga copy before anyone else did. I told you my parents are dead, but that isn't completely true, and I actually just found out it wasn't true myself not long ago.. Last year I found out my grandmother kept a secret from me, and I haven't had anyone I could tell because I don't have a lot of friends. But since I screamed a lie to you this morning, I guess I can tell you the truth. (Susan and Helga sit on either side of Daphne.)

Susan: Well we're here to listen. We don't really talk to anyone but each other, so we won't tell.

Daphne: (Sighs.) Well, I guess someone should learn before it's too late. (Beat.) My mother was a Japanese artist and my dad was a photographer from Washington. They met, quickly fell, and soon they were in each others arms every night that she was in America. This only went on for about two weeks,but according to my grandmother they were constantly writing to each other. Soon after she got home though she began feeling very sick and told my dad that she was afraid she caught a stomach bug in America because she kept throwing up. Then a week later a phone call came in. She was late. My dad was devastated because he thought she must have been with someone, but she confessed that the baby had to be his if she was pregnant. And nine months later my dad was flying with his parents to Japan to see the birth of his child. In the end they couldn't decide who was going to change their life to keep our family together and my mother, since her parents were dead, thought I'd get more love in America with my dad's side. My dad died in a car wreck when I was three and my grandma always told me my mother died in it too. But she apparently was still staying in contact with her, and when I saw her picture... I instantly recognized her..

Susan: You did?

Helga: Who was it?

Daphne: It was the one and only Harumi Saito. (Susan and Helga gasp.) I know. I had just become a fan of her work, and then I found out this artist is my mother. As a matter of fact, I just received my first letter from her, and I'm moving to Japan this summer. It's a really crazy experience and I honestly can't believe this is happening.. (Beat.) Thank you for letting me get all that off my chest.

Susan: That is amazing, Daphne! You're going to live with my favorite manga artist of all time! I'm sure you're excited about going to Japan!

Daphne: Anyone else would be very excited, but I'm very scared.. I have never lived anywhere else but here, and I will be living with this random person I've never met before. That and I have some... unfinished business before I leave America..

Susan: Unfinished business?

Daphne: There is a guy that I've had feelings for that have been getting a lot stronger for some time now. He is gorgeous, a perfect art subject. He's honestly become my muse really, and I am running out of time to tell him how I really feel before I disappear for good.. So I'm confessing by the end of the week so we can maybe develop some kind of a relationship.

Helga: (tearing up.) How sweet! Isn't that so sweet, Susan? That is so sweet!

Susan: (Brushing off her emotional friend.) Yeah...sweet. Out of curiosity, who-

Helga: It's just like Kagura confessing to Ryo before leaving for her true dimension forever in the finale of Magical Space Kids: Remaaaade!! (She tightly hugs a pillow to her face)

Daphne: His name isn't important.. And he will no longer be after starting my new life... I am really glad I could confide in someone with that

Susan: Well, of course! What are friends for?

Daphne: To be honest, I wouldn't know. The closest people to "friends" I have out here are the girls in the yearbook club, but they don't care about my well-being at all. In fact they're more sad that I'm leaving because I'm the only one who can properly calibrate the cameras for the perfect photos every time..

Susan: Well, that is nonsense jargon to us. You speak our anime language though, and we think that is the coolest thing someone can do!

Helga: (Finally bringing her head out of the pillow.) She's right, you should hang with us until you leave instead of the Creepy Camera Club.

Daphne: you know what? Maybe I will. But we can work those details out after our project, deal?

Helga and Susan: Deal! (The girls then open the book brought in at the beginning of the act and squeeze in so all three have access to it. Blackout.)