Chapter 4: King and Knight II

Mordred groans under her breath due to feeling the presence of her 'Father' behind her.

The Red Saber walking out of the Emiya Residence onto a long street leading east to west. There were some other residences dotting the street as no one seem to be out and about. It was quite for the most part except for the occasional chirping of birds and the soft breeze.

Artoria awaited patiently to see which direction Mordred would go in as there was a lot of awkward silence between the two. It felt like ages since they had been together in a peaceful manner much less working together.

Mordred rubs her temple thinking on where to go as the itching presence of Artoria was not helping at all.

A few more moments passed without a word as Atoria slowly approaches her knight, "Where too..." She asked as Mordred did not even listen and walked to the east.

This action made Artoria's eyes soften a little as she never wished for their relationship to have ended so poorly.

Mordred had her hands stuffed in her pockets, and her face was plastered with a bland look. She wished to left well alone, and the King of Knights was clearly not taking the hint.

Artoria followed behind Mordred with keeping hands behind her back.

The awkward silence sat on the air as it drove Mordred near to the brink of sanity, "Why'd you come?" She barked while turning to face the emerald eyed King.

Artoria stops as her gaze did not leave her 'son's'. It took a bit for a proper response to leave Artoria, "Is it wrong for me to join you on patrol?"

That response seemed to ease the tension a little, "Funny." Mordred said with a tone of disinterest.

Back in the time of chivarly and knights, Artoria sent all of the round table on various pursuits. One of the most tedious adventurers was patrolling, usually solo or with a partner, and Mordred was no exception. She would go on countless patrols that would bore anyone to death.

Artoria was simply trying to devise a way to get Mordred to ease up, and hoped the remark would help. It seem too but the tension was slowly returning as did the silence, but thankfully, a thought then came to the King. "Why don't we go to the marketplace together?"

"Huh?" Mordred was taken aback by the idea of going out to anywhere, together with Artoria.

It was not the idea of going out together which would annoy Mordred as it was now, but the way Artoria had said it sounded so weird to hear coming from her. It was the first time Artoria had ask personally if Mordred wish to go somewhere with her, actual acknowledgment.

Artoria smiles softly as Mordred's look of confusion only grew. This gave the King all she needed to know while correcting her throat, "Oh, how about I say it like this," she muttered, "do you wish to spend time with me at the marketplace, together Mordred?"

Mordred's voice did not come up at all, her emerald gaze peering off at a few birds pecking at some stones on the wall they were on. There were no words to describe Mordred's feeling of being emotionaly overwhelmed.

"Y-you... mean it?" The Knight of Rebellion's voice was softer than it had been since she arrived within this era.

"Yes," Artoria's smile never wavered, "I thought it would be nice to spend time with you."

Mordred had a buzzy feeling she had not felt in awhile, like somehow her sort of biological Father or more else clone wanted to be around her for once. It made her eyes light up with joy similar to the look she got when invigorated by combat. "I'll gladly go with you... but!" The knight's voice barking up back to its normal tone.

Artoria hummed awaiting for what Mordred's catch was.

"You'll come to the arcade after." Mordred's toothy smile showing.

"The arcade... alright then." Artoria replied not really knowing what that was too well as Shirou barely mentioned what an 'arcade' was in a passing comment on a shopping trip.

Mordred walks over to her Father while patting the King of Knights' back making Artoria jump a little in surprise.

"The arcade is amazing! You'll enjoy it."

Artoria took a moment to collect herself and nodded. The King and Knight both now walking beside one another as it felt like a great change of pace.