Chapter 3 | Something Else

🌻Juliana's POV🌻

I ran towards the noise. It sounded like screams. I heard the name "Darry". I kept running, and I saw a bunch of those "sophisticated" people hurting a kid that looked around 14.
"Hey! Leave him alone!!" I yelled. They were all boys. They shot me a look, and one of them started to run towards me. I opened my bag, grabbed the pistol my dad gave me a couple years ago, and I aimed it at him. I cocked the gun, a stern look on my face. "I said, leave him alone." I repeated. They continued to beat him, so I shot a bullet in the air. I heard a yelp, and the boys scattered, other than the one that was being hurt. I put the gun away, and ran to him. He looked at me, shocked. I held a hand out for him to take. "Are you okay?" I asked him. He stood up and brushed himself off.
"Yeah, I'm alright. Thanks. Are you new to town? I've never seen you around." he said.
"Yeah, I just got here around an hour ago. What's your name?"
"Ponyboy Curtis, and please don't make fun of me for it. I get enough of that already from the kids at school and Steve."
"I think that's a really unique and special name. I like it." I told him.
"Thanks. What's your name?"
"Juliana, but my friends and family would call me Jill or Jilly. You can call me any of them, I don't care."
"Alright. Well, since you're new, I'll give you some useful information. Those guys that jumped me, those are Socs. They live on the West side of town," he informed me as we walked. I didn't know where we were going, but I followed, "We're currently on the East side, which is greaser territory."
"So you're a greaser?" I asked him.
"I am."
"Where are we going?"
"I'm gonna take you to my house. I'm guessing you don't have a place to stay?" He was right. I didn't.
"No, I don't. Are you su-" I was interrupted by a man, who sounded fairly young.
"Ponyboy!" he yelled, and ran up to us. "Pony, are you okay??" he asked, examining him.
"Yeah, I'm alright, Darry."
"Who's the chick?" another boy asked. He had blond hair and looked like he was trouble. There were 6 boys altogether, other than Ponyboy.
"Guys, this is Juliana. She just got to town."
"Where are you from, Juliana?" a sweet looking boy asked. He had wheat-gold hair that was greased back, and dark brown eyes. He looked around my age.
"Arkansas."
"What're you doing here?" the boy behind him asked. He looked a little more tough. He had blue eyes and dark brown hair, which was also greased, and combed in swirls.
"My house was just becoming toxic. I needed to leave."
"How'd you two run into each other?" The oldest asked. I guess his name was Darry.
"I saved him from those....Socs, were they?" I asked Ponyboy.
"Yeah. She pulled out a gun and scared 'em off."
"Woahh, cute girl pullin' guns. There's something you don't see every day." the boy with the dark brown hair said.
"Steve, knock it off. I'm sorry about him. He and Dally don't have any decency around girls. I'm Sodapop." the sweet one with wheat gold hair said. "That's Darry, my older brother," he pointed to Darry. "You already know Ponyboy, he's my little brother. That one behind me is Steve. He's been my best buddy since grade school. The blond hair guy is Dallas, but we call him Dally, that one right there, with the beer bottle, that's Two-Bit, and the one behind him is Johnny. He doesn't talk much." Johnny waved, and I smiled at him, waving back.
"Hi, Johnny." I said, softly.
"Hi...nice to meet you." he replied.
"Woah, you just got Johnny to talk. Not many people he first sees are able to do that." Two-Bit said.
"She seems nice!" Johnny told him. I giggled a bit. I looked over and caught Steve staring at me.
"You like what you see?" I asked with an attitude.
"Maybe."
"Steve, quit." Ponyboy said. Steve gave him a glare, and Sodapop lightly shoved his head. Darry looked at me.
"Do you have a place to stay?"
"No. Ponyboy offered to bring me to your all's house."
"Oh! Oh! Pleeeaaase can she stay??" Sodapop asked. Darry looked at him weirdly.
"Why do you want her to stay so much? You just met her." He didn't seem upset or angry. He seemed casual as far as I could see.
"Becauseee. We don't get many new people and I want her to stay with usss."
"Why?" Darry repeated.
"Darryyyy." Sodapop whined.
"Okay, fine!"
"Yay!!" he exclaimed, and ran up to me, grabbing my hands. "This is gonna be the best night of your life." he told me, and started to drag me to their house. I started laughing, and wondered why he was so excited. But then my mind wandered to Steve. The way he looked at me...I couldn't get it out of my head. That Steve.....he was something else.